2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review
- Original MSRP$29,495 - $64,380
- Fuel Economy17/25 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
(Last Updated 12/12/2017)
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is more refined than older models, but retains its Jeep nature.
The newest generation of the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a much more refined, fuel-efficient and well-mannered vehicle than its predecessors. Yet it still retains the signature Jeep appeal and capability. The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee adds a new diesel engine option, an award-winning eight-speed transmission and more technology features.
One of the best-looking Jeeps on the market, the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a strong presence with hints at its storied Jeep history blended into a modern package.
As a midsize SUV, the 2014 Grand Cherokee is becoming a popular choice among buyers looking for a true SUV rather than a crossover. With a luxurious interior fit for a premium buying market, the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in five trim levels with varying degrees of technological and luxury inclusions.
The 2014 Grand Cherokee seats five and has 36.3 cubic feet of cargo space, which expands to 68.3 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. It comes standard with automatic headlights, proximity key with push-button start, Bluetooth, a USB port and a touch-screen audio system.
Available features include a heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, power-adjustable front seats, leather upholstery, a panoramic sunroof, navigation and a Uconnect infotainment system with an 8.4-inch touch screen.
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is one of the most widely configurable SUVs on the market with more powertrain choices than nearly all of its competitors.
The standard engine in all but the SRT trim level is a 3.6-liter V6 producing 290 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. On Limited and higher trims (except the SRT), a 5.7-liter V8 with 360 horsepower and a turbodiesel 3.0-liter V6 with 240 horsepower are available. The SRT model has an exclusive 6.4-liter V8 producing 470 horsepower. All engines are mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Fuel economy ranges from 20 mpg combined with the base V6 and rear-wheel drive, to 24 mpg combined with the diesel option and four-wheel drive.
Towing capacity maxes out at 7,400 pounds with the 5.7-liter V8 or the turbodiesel V6. The Overland and Summit models have standard offroad equipment that is optional on other Grand Cherokee models except the Laredo and SRT.
The Grand Chrerokee’s Uconnect infotainment system is one of the most user-friendly systems on the market, according to surveys and reviews. As a result, we give the Grand Cherokee high marks in technology. Both a 7-inch and 8.4-inch touch screen are available for the system in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Various options include a Wi-Fi hotspot, smartphone app integration, navigation and more.
Crash test ratings for the 2014 Grand Cherokee are good for its class. Although test results vary by build date, all models get a four-star (out of five) overall rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The 2014 Grand Cherokee also earned a Top Safety Pick award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Optional driver assistance features include adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning and blind spot monitoring.
For the segment, the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a relatively high price point when purchased new. It retains value and desirability on the used market, however, especially if you’re looking at four-wheel drive models.
With good fuel economy for the segment, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a good choice for buyers measuring their purchase by cost-effectiveness over time. Jeep Grand Cherokees are usually a good choice for the value conscious looking toward the longer term.
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers some of the best options and safety in its class. Our overall score of reflects this and makes the 2014 Grand Cherokee one of the vehicles we recommend most in the midsize SUV segment.
Specs & Features
- Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
- Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
- Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
- Bright White Clear Coat
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 17.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: P245/70r17
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Lip
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Grille Color: Black
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Body Side Moldings: Body-color
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Width Without Mirrors: 76.5 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 8.7 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 26.3 Degrees
- Width: 84.8 Inches
- Length: 189.8 Inches
- Height: 69.4 Inches
- Wheelbase: 114.8 Inches
- Break-over Angle: 19.0 Degrees
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 6500 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 64.1 Inches
- Curb Weight: 4545 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 26.4 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 63.9 Inches
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Cargo Area Floor Mat
- Phone: Hands Free
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- Radio: AM/FM/Touch Screen Display
- Radio Data System
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Total Speakers: 6
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Cloth
- 4-Way Manual Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Passenger Seat Folding: Folds Flat
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 4-Way Manual Driver Seat Adjustments
- Passenger Volume: 105.4 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 5
- Front Hip Room: 57 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 58.6 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 56.5 Inches
- Interior Volume: 140.5 Cubic Feet
- Rear Legroom: 38.6 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 68.7 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 40.3 Inches
- Front Headroom: 39.9 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 39.2 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 35.1 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 58 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 3.45
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City: 17
- Highway: 25
- Combined: 20
- Transmission Type: 8-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 3.6
- Horsepower: 290
- Torque: 260
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 6200 Pounds
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.37
- Turning Circle: 37.1
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Short And Long Arm
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Bumper-to-Bumper: 36 Months/36000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 60 Months/100000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation - All Panels: Rust: 36 Months/0 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation - Outer Panels: Rust: 60 Months/100000 Miles