CENTREVILLE, Va., May 2, 2013 — Carfax is kicking off car buying season with some tips for consumers to help find safe, reliable used cars. History shows that more than half of all the used cars sold this year will be bought in just five months, from May through September. In addition, financial expert Jean Chatzky said yesterday that now may be the best time in years to buy a used car.
‘Summertime is typically when car sales, especially used car sales, kick into high gear,’ said Larry Gamache, communications director at Carfax. ‘As the economic recovery continues, it’s likely that more people will take advantage of an increased supply of used cars and great deals being offered at dealerships throughout the season. Just remember that finding a great used car takes research and patience. Shop around for best value and make sure to consult the experts like Carfax and a trusted mechanic before you buy any used car.’
Carfax offers these buying tips for used car shoppers:
- Consider a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car. Manufacturer-backed CPO cars come with many new car benefits, including warranties and low mileage, at used car prices. Practically all Certified cars undergo a thorough mechanic’s inspection and come with a free vehicle history report.
- Take advantage of mobile apps. Mobile apps help us find used cars for sale, get pricing information and even insurance quotes anytime, anywhere. Use the Carfax app to check the car’s history, especially if you’re buying from an individual.
- Look for well-maintained cars. Cars that have been regularly serviced may perform better and cost less to own in the long run. Make sure to ask the seller for service records.
- Lowest price is not always best. Comparing the features, options and mileage against the prices of several similar used cars can help you find the best value for your money.
- Be aware of potential problems. Open recalls, odometer rollbacks and flood damage are just a few of the issues that may be found in used cars for sale this summer. Getting a Carfax Vehicle History Report and mechanic’s inspection can help avoid undisclosed problems.
‘Through Carfax, I discovered a car I had just purchased had the odometer rolled back from 189,000 miles to 96,000 miles,’ said Sandy Wang, a recent Carfax customer from La Puente, Calif. ‘I found so many people selling cars online with rolled back odometers and never disclosed that the car had been involved in an accident. Wow, what an eye-opening experience.’
About Carfax (www.carfax.com)
Carfax is the vehicle history expert for used car buyers, sellers and the automotive industry. Carfax created the Vehicle History Report in 1986 and maintains the largest vehicle history database ever assembled, comprising over 15 billion vehicle records from more than 95,000 sources across North America. A Carfax® Vehicle History Report™, the most trusted resource for vehicle history information, is an essential step in the used car buying process. Get free Carfax® Reports from dealers wherever used cars are sold online or look for Carfax Advantage™ dealers in your area and say ‘Show Me the Carfax’. For used car buying tips or to purchase a Carfax® Report, visit www.carfax.com.
Connect with us on Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and Twitter @CarfaxReports, read our Blog and Customer Stories, and watch us on YouTube. Friend Car Fox on Facebook and follow him on Twitter @TheCarFox. Download the ‘Carfax Reports’ mobile app from the App StoreSM and Google PlaySM.
For further information: Christopher Basso, Carfax Public Relations, Phone (703) 934-2664