Is the Nissan Pathfinder Right for You?
What Is It & Who Is It Meant For?
The 2022 Nissan Pathfinder has a bold and modern new exterior that helps it stand out in a crowded segment of family-friendly SUVs with three rows of seating. For the first time, the Pathfinder can be ordered with second-row captain’s chairs, instead of the standard bench. This drops seating capacity from eight to seven, though the added touch of luxury – and easier access to the third row – could be worth it to many SUV shoppers.
The 284-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine is a carryover from the previous Pathfinder, though it now comes paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission. The outgoing model used a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). The Pathfinder comes in front-wheel drive (FWD), though all-wheel drive (AWD) can be added to any trim.
What Makes It Unique?
The Pathfinder places an emphasis on passenger comfort, safety features, and cargo space. Of course, so do countless other midsize SUVs with three rows of seating. The 2022 model year sees the Pathfinder grow slightly in every dimension, which should provide a modest boost to interior space. There is seating for up to eight people when the Pathfinder outfitted with the second-row bench seat. Safety features play a major factor in this segment of the SUV world. With that in mind, the 2022 Pathfinder comes with many standard advanced driver-assist systems (ADAS), and, for the first time, it offers Nissan’s ProPilot Assist feature. Nissan has also upped the towing capacity of the Pathfinder to 6,000 pounds, which is more than nearly all of its rivals.
Pathfinder vs. Other Nissan Models
The Pathfinder joins a large family of Nissan SUVs: The smallest and cheapest member is the subcompact Kicks. Going up in size, there’s the Rogue Sport, Rogue, the luxurious Murano, and at the top, the three-row Armada.
Pathfinder vs. Competition
The 2022 Pathfinder has been redesigned inside and out, but it faces some very tough competition from a wide range of makes and models:
- Kia Telluride: Handsome, roomy interior, good value
- Ford Explorer: Powerful engines, airy cabin, impressive tech features
- Mazda CX-9: Sharp steering reflexes; cabin has a premium look and feel
- Dodge Durango: High performance optional V8 engines, towing capacity
- Honda Pilot: Quiet, easy to drive, good fuel economy
Is the 2022 Model Year Right for You?
What’s Changed for 2022
- Completely redesigned
- Standard 284-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine
- FWD standard, AWD optional
- 9-speed automatic transmission
- Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Available Wi-Fi hot spot and wireless Apple CarPlay
- Standard blind spot monitoring and automatic emergency braking
- Available Nissan ProPilot Assist
2022 Nissan Pathfinder vs. Older Nissan SUVs
The outgoing Nissan Pathfinder dates all the way back to the 2013 model year. With that redesign, Nissan’s popular SUV took a determined turn towards being easier to drive and less truck-focused. While old-school Pathfinder fans long for the body-on-frame rugged charm of the original, most SUV shoppers will appreciate the added comfort, tech, and safety features that were baked into more recent model years.
Which 2022 Nissan Pathfinder Will be the Best Value?
The 2022 Nissan Pathfinder will be available in four trim levels: S, SV, SL, and the range-topping Platinum. Sales will begin this summer. At the time of writing, Nissan has not released pricing details. However, given the competition, it’s a smart bet that the updated Pathfinder will stick close to its predecessor’s pricing structure. This means a base price hovering around $32,000 for the Pathfinder S, upwards to about $45,000 for the Platinum trim.
The majority of Pathfinder sales will fall somewhere in that middle ground, particularly since many SUV shoppers will prefer to include optional features like ProPilot Assist, dual second-row captain’s chairs, AWD, and a hands-free power liftgate.
2022 Nissan Pathfinder Performance
The 2022 Nissan Pathfinder will be offered with one choice of engine:
- 284-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission. FWD is standard, AWD is optional.
Compared with the class? The 2022 Pathfinder isn’t the most powerful 3-row SUV out there, but its 284-horsepower engine provides enough grunt for everyday driving. With 6,000 pounds of towing capacity, the new Pathfinder exceeds nearly all its direct rivals.
At the time of writing, the 2022 Nissan Pathfinder has not been tested by the EPA for fuel mileage numbers. The previous front-wheel-drive model powered by the same engine posted an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in city driving and 27 mpg on the highway, or 23 mpg combined. This dipped to 22 mpg combined when all-wheel drive was added.
2022 Nissan Pathfinder Safety Ratings & Features
Standard Safety Features
The 2022 Nissan Pathfinder comes standard with the safety features listed below:
- Forward collision warning with pedestrian detection: Warns drivers of a potential front-end collision, or of people in the road ahead.
- Automatic emergency braking: Helps a vehicle avoid a collision – or reduce the severity of a crash – if the driver doesn’t respond in time.
- Lane departure warning: Alerts drivers when approaching or crossing.
- Blind spot monitoring: Alerts drivers when a vehicle is located next to them on either side, just out of view. Some systems also auto-steer away from nearby vehicles.
- Rear cross-traffic alert: Warns drivers if the system detects a vehicle, pedestrian, or object in the way, or approaching from either side. Some systems will auto-brake.
- Automatic high-beam headlights
- Rear automatic braking
- Rearview camera
Optional Safety Features
- Surround-view monitor
- Rear door alert
- Traffic sign recognition
- ProPilot Assist
- Blind spot intervention
- Driver drowsiness monitor
2022 Nissan Pathfinder Interior
Cabin Storage and Features
- Three rows of seating
- Standard second-row bench, optional captain’s chairs
- 8-inch touchscreen, 9-inch screen available
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard
- Two USB ports standard in second row, USB port optional for third row
- Cabin storage areas: Glovebox, center console bin under armrest, front door pockets, second-row door pockets, sunglasses holder
Compared with the class? The Pathfinder has always been roomy inside for passengers and anything they care to tote along. While the 2022 model year is slightly larger than before, it rides on an identical wheelbase, so don’t expect a massive gain in cabin room.
- 16 .6 cubic feet of storage space behind the third row.
- With the third row folded, there is 45 cubic feet of cargo volume.
- With the second and third row folded, there is 80.5 cubic feet of space.
Compared with the class? The Pathfinder delivers in terms of available cargo room. The useful 16.6 cubic feet of volume behind the third row is handy for when every seat is occupied. If you need more space than what the Pathfinder provides, you might want to reconsider the intensity of your shopping trips or luggage habits.
Compared with the class? There is seating for up to eight people on board the 2022 Pathfinder. Ordering the optional second-row captain’s chairs shrinks capacity to seven.
2022 Nissan Warranty
- 3 years / 36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. Covers many parts and systems, but does not include consumables such as brakes, tires, wiper blades, shocks, or struts.
- 5 years / 60,000 miles powertrain. Covers major engine and transmission components.
- Both warranties are measured from the date the first owner purchases the car. They are transferable to used car buyers.
Compared with the class? Average for the segment.
If you have questions about this story, please contact us at Editors@carfax.com