- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover
- New Beetle
2021 Volkswagen Atlas Review
- User Reviews
- Carfax Info
- Original MSRP$31,545 - $50,695
- Fuel Economy (MPG)21/24 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
Is the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas Right for You?
What Is It and Who Is It For?
The Volkswagen Atlas is a midsize SUV that seats up to seven people. It’s ideal for larger families and carpoolers who want a three-row vehicle with lots of technology and better ride and handling than its rivals can offer.
What Makes It Unique?
The Volkswagen Atlas has been refreshed for 2021 with nominal styling enhancements and a few other changes. Like the rest of Volkswagen’s lineup, the Atlas features uncluttered styling and engaging driving dynamics, and among its many high-tech features is the automaker’s configurable Digital Cockpit instrumentation. As before, it comes with either front- or all-wheel drive, with a peppy turbocharged 4-cylinder engine or a smoother and stronger V6. It can tow up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped, sufficient for a modest boat or trailer.
Volkswagen Atlas vs. Other Volkswagens
Atlas vs. Competition
- Chevrolet Traverse: Big, roomy three-row crossover that packs a powerful V6 engine.
- Honda Pilot: Practical crossover with a smooth V6 engine, but it looks a bit bland.
- Kia Telluride: Handsomely styled, with a top-notch interior and solid driving dynamics.
- Toyota Highlander: Stylish and capable, with lots of standard driver-assist features for added safety.
Is the 2021 Model Year Right for You?
What’s New for 2021?
- Model line expands to eight trim levels with new SEL Premium R-Line
- Nominally bolder front and rear-end treatments
- Turbo-4 engine now offered on all trims
- SEL and SEL Premium trims add adaptive LED headlamps
2021 Volkswagen Atlas vs. Older Atlases
The Atlas debuted for the 2018 model year; the 2021 refresh represents its first update beyond just minor changes. You could save money choosing a used Atlas.
Which 2021 Volkswagen Atlas Trim Is the Best Value?
Original starting price, including destination charge:
- S: $32,565
- SE: $35,915
- SE w/Technology: $37,915
- SE w/Technology R-Line: $40,715
- SEL: $43,315
- SEL R-Line: $45,015
- SEL Premium: $48,215
- SEL Premium R-Line: $51,715
We recommend the SE w/Technology trim with the available V6 engine ($39,315). It comes with a sufficient number of features, including a few essential driver-assist systems, and it benefits from some extra horsepower, which helps when carrying a carload of riders.
Otherwise, the top Atlas trims are the most sumptuously equipped, but they’re on the pricey side for an SUV without a luxury nameplate.
2021 Volkswagen Atlas Performance
The Volkswagen Atlas has two engine options:
- 235-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission and either front- or all-wheel drive
- 276-horsepower 3.6-liter V6 engine with an 8-speed automatic and either front- or all-wheel drive
Compared with the class? The standard turbo-4 engine is a strong performer among competing 4-cylinder engines in the midsize class, but the available V6 is out-muscled by some rivals.
- 2 .0-liter: 22 EPA-estimated combined mpg*
- 3 .6-liter FWD/AWD: 19/18 mpg
*The EPA uses a mixture of highway and city driving for its combined estimate.
Compared with the class? Other models in this class get better fuel economy.
2021 Volkswagen Atlas Safety Ratings and Features
As of this writing, the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas had not yet been rated by either the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Given nothing structural changed with this update, we expect it will continue to receive top marks from both organizations.
Key Standard Features
- Forward collision warning: Warns drivers of a potential front-end collision.
- Automatic emergency braking: Helps vehicle avoid a collision or reduce the severity of a crash if the driver doesn’t respond in time; system also recognizes pedestrians in the vehicle’s path.
- Blind spot warning: Alerts drivers when a vehicle is located next to them on either side, just out of view.
- Rear cross-traffic alert: Warns drivers if the system detects a vehicle, pedestrian or object in the way, or approaching from either side.
Key Optional Features
- Automatic high beams: Switches from high beams to low to avoid blinding oncoming motorists.
- Lane keeping assist: Uses the car’s own steering system to help keep vehicle between lane lines.
- Traffic jam assist: The car can help steer, brake, and accelerate itself at speeds up to 37 mph.
Interior Features and Storage
- Cupholders: 2 front, 2 rear
- Cabin storage areas: Locking cooled glovebox, center console bin under armrest, overhead console with storage, covered bin in instrument panel, driver and passenger door-panel bins, front row under-seat storage, front seatback storage pockets
Compared with the class? It’s more than is usually found in this class.
- 20 .6 cubic feet behind third row
- 55 .5 cubic feet with third row folded
- 96 .8 cubic feet with both rows folded
Compared with the class? All three measurements are spacious for midsize three-row SUVs.
Compared with the class? There’s plenty of room in the first two rows of seats for taller adults to stretch out, and the middle row can slide and recline for added comfort. The latter can also be swapped for two separate captain’s chairs. The third row is best suited for kids and smaller riders.
2020 Volkswagen Atlas Warranty
- 4 years / 50,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. Covers many parts and systems but doesn’t include consumables such as brakes, tires, wiper blades, shocks, or struts.
- Coverage is measured from the date the first owner purchases the car and transfers to used-car buyers.
Compared with the class? Most models in this class offer a three-year basic warranty but extend powertrain coverage to 5 years/50,000 miles. Volkswagen’s 2021 warranty plan does, however, include two years of free scheduled maintenance.
Specs & Features
- Pyrite Silver Metallic
- Platinum Gray Metallic
- Tourmaline Blue Metallic
- Pure White
- Deep Black Pearl
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: 245/60R18
Available exterior features
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Angle Of Approach: 20.4 Degrees
- Angle Of Departure: 22.3 Degrees
- Break-over Angle: 17.5 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 67 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 8 Inches
- Height: 70.1 Inches
- Length: 200.7 Inches
- Rear Track Width: 67.6 Inches
- Wheelbase: 117.3 Inches
- Width: 78.4 Inches
- Width Without Mirrors: 78.4 Inches
- Curb Weight: 4,248 Pounds
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 5,622 Pounds
- Side Mirror Adjustments: Manual Folding, Power
- Side Mirrors: Heated, Integrated Turn Signals
- Armrests: Rear Center With Cupholders, Rear Folding
- Floor Material: Cargo Area Carpet, Carpet
- Shift Knob Trim: Urethane
- Steering Wheel Trim: Urethane
- Air Filtration
- Front Air Conditioning
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Rear Vents: Second Row, Third Row
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Cargo Volume: 20.6 Cubic Feet
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 96.8 Cubic Feet
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 55.5 Cubic Feet
- Passenger Volume: 153.7 Cubic Feet
- Front Headroom: 41.3 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 40.4 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 38.3
- Front Hip Room: 58.2 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 58 Inches
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 45.1
- Front Legroom: 41.7 Inches
- Rear Legroom: 37.6 Inches
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 33.7
- Max Seating: 7
- Seating Rows: 3
- Front Shoulder Room: 61.5 Inches
- Rear Shoulder Room: 60.8 Inches
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 54.9
- Standard Seating: 7
- Antenna Type: Mast
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth, USB, IPod/iPhone, Jack, Memory Card Slot
- Radio: AM/FM, Touch Screen Display
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Total Speakers: 6
- Connected In-car Apps: App Marketplace Integration
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready, Apple CarPlay Ready
- Infotainment Screen Size: 6.5 In.
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated
- Smart Device App Function: Horn/light Operation, Lock Operation, Maintenance Scheduling, Maintenance Status, Vehicle Location
- Wifi: Hotspot
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- 6-Way Manual Driver Seat Adjustments
- Bucket Front Seats
- 6-Way Manual Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Flat-Folding Rear Seat
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Third Row Seat Folding: Flat, Split
- Third Row Seat Type: 50-50 Split Bench
- Upholstery: Cloth
- Digital Odometer
- External Temperature Display
- Fuel Economy Display: MPG, Range
- Gauge: Tachometer
- Multi-function Display
- Trip Computer
- Trip Odometer
- Warnings And Reminders: Lamp Failure, Low Fuel, Engine Oil, Coolant, Maintenance Due, Tire Fill Alert
- Engine Type: 4 Cylinders
- Displacement: 2.0 Liters
- Horsepower: 235
- Torque: 258
- Axle Ratio: 3.60
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.34
- Turning Circle: 40.5
- Transmission Type: 8-Speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 2,000 Pounds
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 21
- Highway (MPG): 24
- Combined (MPG): 22
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 84 Months/100,000 Miles
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Automatic Emergency Braking: Front/rear
- Blind Spot Safety: Sensor/alert
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/visual Warning
- Impact Absorbing Bumpers
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Impact Sensor: Door Unlock/fuel Cut-off/post-collision Safety System
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Rollover Stability Control: Standard
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Safety Brake Pedal System
- Cross Traffic Alert: Rear
- Automatic Hazard Warning Lights
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard
Volkswagen Atlas For Sale
Volkswagen Atlas Trims For Sale
Shopping for a Used Car?
carfax.com has thousands of car dealers with used cars for sale
- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover
- New Beetle