- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover
2020 Genesis G80 Review
- User Reviews
- Carfax Info
- Original MSRP$42,550 - $60,000
- Fuel Economy (MPG)18/26 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSedan
Is the Genesis G80 Right for You?
What Is It and Who Is It For?
The 2020 Genesis G80 is a midsize luxury sedan that seats five people. It’s meant for drivers who want an elegant, upscale sedan, but aren’t sold on one that comes from Europe.
What Makes It Unique?
The Genesis G80 is handsomely styled, with a roomy, rich-looking, comfortable interior and a wealth of standard luxury features — and it costs less than rivals from the likes of Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. It’s available with either of two V6 engines or a powerful V8, with rear- or all-wheel drive.
Genesis G80 vs. Other Genesis Models
G80 vs. Competition
The midsize luxury sedan market is teeming with plush and capable models:
- Audi A6: Smooth riding, with a hint of sportiness and a roomy, comfortable cabin.
- BMW 5 Series: Responsive handling and a choice of powerful engines.
- Lexus ES: Conservative driving dynamics with a roomy interior and extroverted styling.
- Mercedes Benz E-Class: Beautifully cast cabin with multiple levels of performance, available as a sedan, wagon, coupe, and convertible.
What’s New for 2020
- No major changes
2020 Genesis G80s vs. Older G80s
The current-generation G80 debuted for the 2017 model year, when Hyundai launched its Genesis luxury-car brand. It’s seen only incremental updates since but will be redesigned for the 2021 model year. Before 2017, the car was sold as the Hyundai Genesis; that car’s 2015 update essentially amounts to the current car. You could save money buying a used Genesis G80.
Which 2020 Genesis G80 Is the Best Value?
Original starting price, including destination fee:
- 8: $43,545
- 3T Sport: $56,745
- 0 Ultimate: $58,495
We recommend the base 3.8, which is sufficiently powerful and comes with a generous assortment of comfort, convenience, and safety features.
The 3.3T Sport is a bit livelier; it has a turbocharged engine, rides on larger wheels and tires, and features a sport suspension and sport seats — all of which also makes it a bit less comfort-oriented. The 5.0 Ultimate adds a few extra features and a smooth and powerful V8 under the hood, but it commands a much steeper sticker price.
2020 Genesis G80 Performance
The Genesis G80 has three engine options:
- 311-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 with an 8-speed automatic transmission and rear- or all-wheel drive
- 365-horsepower turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 with an 8-speed automatic and rear- or all-wheel drive
- 420-horsepower 5.0-liter V8 with an 8-speed automatic and rear- or all-wheel drive
Compared with the class? The base V6 beats many rivals’ standard turbo-4-cylinder engines, but the Europeans win the muscle wars with their top-of-the-line engines.
- 3.8-liter RWD/AWD: 21/20 EPA-estimated combined mpg*
- 3.3-liter turbo: 20 mpg
- 5.0-liter RWD/AWD: 19/18
*The EPA uses a mixture of highway and city driving for its combined estimate.
Compared with the class? The European luxury brands’ base turbo-4 engines beat it by several mpg, and even the V6s in the class get somewhat better fuel economy. The V8 is about average.
2020 Genesis G80 Safety Ratings and Features
The Genesis G80 earned a perfect five-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave it Top Safety Pick+ status for its crash-test and accident-avoidance performance.
Key Standard Features
- Forward collision warning: Warns drivers of a potential front-end collision.
- Automatic emergency braking: Helps vehicle avoid a collision or reduce the severity of a crash if the driver doesn’t respond in time.
- Lane keeping assist: Uses the car’s steering system to help keep the vehicle between lane lines.
- Blind spot warning: Alerts drivers when a vehicle is located next to them on either side, just out of view. Some systems also auto-steer away from nearby vehicles.
- Lane departure warning: Alerts drivers if they’re approaching or crossing a lane line.
- Rear cross-traffic alert: Warns drivers if the system detects a vehicle, pedestrian or object in the way, or approaching from either side.
- Automatic high beams: Switches from high beams to low to avoid blinding oncoming motorists.
Key Optional Features
- Adaptive headlights: Pivot to illuminate the road through turns or curves.
2020 Genesis G80 Interior
- Cupholders: 2 front / 2 rear
- Available wireless phone charging pad
- Cabin storage areas: Glove compartment, front seatback map pockets, center console bin under armrest
Compared with the class? All are expected in this class.
Genesis G80 Cargo Space
- There’s 15.3 cubic feet in the trunk.
Compared with the class? It’s about average for the class, though there’s only a small pass-through to the trunk rather than folding seatbacks.
Genesis G80 Seating Space
Compared with the class? The G80’s cabin is sufficiently roomy for adults to stretch out in both the front and rear.
2020 Genesis G80 Warranty
- 5 years / 60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. Covers many parts and systems but doesn’t include consumables such as brakes, tires, wiper blades, shocks, or struts.
- 10 years / 100,000 miles powertrain. Covers major engine and transmission components.
Both warranties are measured from the date the first owner purchases the car; the comprehensive warranty transfers to used-car buyers but the powertrain coverage does not.
Compared with the class? It’s the longest warranty coverage in the luxury class.
Specs & Features
- Himalayan Gray
- Adriatic Blue
- Siberian Ice
- Havana Red
- Savile Silver
- Uyuni White
- Vik Black
- Mallorca Blue
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: P245/45R18
Available exterior features
- Body Side Moldings: Chrome
- Door Handle Color: Body-color With Chrome Accents
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Grille Color: Silver
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Rocker Panel Color: Chrome Accents
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Front Track Width: 64.1 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 Inches
- Height: 58.3 Inches
- Length: 196.5 Inches
- Rear Track Width: 65.3 Inches
- Wheelbase: 118.5 Inches
- Width: 74.4 Inches
- Width Without Mirrors: 74.4 Inches
- Curb Weight: 4,195 Pounds
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 5,240 Pounds
- Side Mirror Adjustments: Power, Power Folding
- Side Mirrors: Auto-dimming, Heated, Integrated Turn Signals
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Pass-thru, Rear Center With Cupholders
- Center Console Trim: Simulated Wood
- Dash Trim: Wood
- Door Sill Trim: Scuff Plate
- Door Trim: Leatherette
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mats: Front, Rear
- Interior Accents: Metallic/woodgrain
- Shift Knob Trim: Leather
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Air Filtration
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Humidity/dewpoint Sensors
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Cargo Volume: 15.3 Cubic Feet
- Passenger Volume: 107.7 Cubic Feet
- Front Headroom: 41.1 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 38.2 Inches
- Front Hip Room: 55.7 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 54.8 Inches
- Front Legroom: 45.7 Inches
- Rear Legroom: 35 Inches
- Max Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Front Shoulder Room: 58.3 Inches
- Rear Shoulder Room: 57.1 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Antenna Type: Diversity, Mast
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth, USB, IPod/iPhone, Jack
- Internet Radio App: Pandora
- Radio: AM/FM, HD Radio, Touch Screen Display
- Radio Data System
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Subwoofer: 1
- Total Speakers: 6
- Connected In-car Apps: Amazon Alexa, Google POIs, Google Search, SiriusXM Movie Listing, SiriusXM Stocks, SiriusXM Travel Link, SiriusXM Weather
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready, Apple CarPlay Ready, Genesis Connected Services
- Infotainment Screen Size: 8 In.
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated, With Read Function
- Navigation System: Hard Drive, Touch Screen Display, Voice Operated
- Phone: Voice Operated
- Real Time Traffic
- Smart Device App Function: Engine Start, Horn/light Operation, Lock Operation, Maintenance Scheduling, Maintenance Status, Vehicle Location
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Driver Seat: Heated
- 4-way Power Lumbar-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Bucket Front Seats
- Passenger Seat: Heated
- 4-way Power Lumbar-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Rear Seat
- Upholstery: Leather
- Digital Odometer
- Driver Information System
- Electroluminescent Instrumentation
- External Temperature Display
- Fuel Economy Display: MPG, Range
- Gauge: Tachometer
- Instrument Cluster Screen Size: 4.3 In.
- Multi-function Display
- Multi-functional Information Center
- Trip Computer
- Trip Odometer
- Warnings And Reminders: Low Fuel Level, Low Oil Level, Tire Fill Alert
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement: 3.8 Liters
- Horsepower: 311
- Torque: 293
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Struts
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Suspension Type: Double Ball Joint
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Transmission Type: 8-Speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 18
- Highway (MPG): 26
- Combined (MPG): 21
- Axle Ratio: 3.91
- Drive Mode Selector
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.27
- Turning Circle: 36.2
- New Car Basic Warranty: 60 Months/60,000 Miles
- Non-Transferable Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 120 Months/100,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 84 Months
- Small Overlap Front - Driver SideG
- Small Overlap Front - Passenger SideG
- Moderate Overlap FrontG
- Side ImpactG
- Roof StrengthG
- Head Restraints and SeatsG
- Front Crash PreventionSuperior
- HeadlightsGwith optional equipment
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Automatic Emergency Braking: Front
- Blind Spot Safety: Sensor/alert
- Lane Deviation Sensors
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Impact Absorbing Seats: Dual Front
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/vibrating Steering Wheel/visual Warning
- Hood Buckling Creases
- Driver Attention Alert System
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Cross Traffic Alert: Rear
- Emergency Interior Trunk Release
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard
Genesis G80 For Sale
Genesis G80 Trims For Sale
Shopping for a Used Car?
carfax.com has thousands of car dealers with used cars for sale
- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover