- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover
2019 Volvo XC40 Review
- Original MSRP$33,700 - $40,250
- Fuel Economy (MPG)23/33 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
With both its exterior and interior design, the 2019 Volvo XC40 has a premium look that’s uniquely Scandinavian. The XC40 also provides an impressive infotainment interface and an exhaustive range of standard and available driver-assistive features.
The 2019 Volvo XC40 is a subcompact crossover SUV that competes in the luxury segment. It offers five-passenger seating and comes in Momentum, R-Design and Inscription trim levels. Two powertrains are available, and buyers can choose between front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
Volvo’s XC40 makes its debut for the 2019 model year.
The XC40’s sheet metal has a modish, upmarket appearance, and it incorporates airy design elements that reflect the crossover’s Swedish roots. A sleek concave grille embellishes the front fascia, and it’s overlooked by a bulging, muscular hood. The deep sculpting on the XC40’s side panels add a sense of movement and dimension, and the rear fascia features jewel-like taillights that resemble hockey sticks.
We were immediately taken with the aesthetic of our XC40 T5 Momentum test vehicle. It was dressed in a paint color that Volvo calls Amazon Blue, and this was complemented by an optional white roof. Delicate pastel hues like this pale shade of blue are unusual in the automotive world, and it helped our XC40 stand out in packed parking lots.
Base-model XC40 crossovers come with exterior amenities such as a height-adjustable power tailgate, 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, daytime running lights, roof rails and rain-sensing windshield wipers. The list of optional features includes a panoramic sunroof, power-folding side mirrors with an auto-dimming capability, a gesture-controlled tailgate, integrated dual tailpipes and 19- or 20-inch wheels.
Volvo’s XC40 has a cabin that looks plush and deluxe. The interior reflects a clean and somewhat minimalist aesthetic that’s undeniably Scandinavian, and it matches the theme of the crossover’s exterior. The center console and air vents feature tasteful metallic accents, and the materials used all throughout the cabin are of premium quality.
Our test vehicle’s interior had a spacious look that made it easy to forget the XC40 is a subcompact. This is matched with accommodating front seats and rear seats that offer good legroom. There are also numerous storage nooks located throughout the interior, including door bins big enough to house tablets.
With the rear seats in place, the XC40 provides 20.7 cubic feet of cargo space, and this expands to 47.2 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. This figure is certainly adequate, but if cargo space is a priority, there are rival models that offer more room. For example, the 2018 Jaguar E-Pace provides 24.2 cubic feet of cargo room behind its second row and 52.7 cubic feet with its second row folded.
The list of standard interior features includes leather upholstery, an eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory settings, automatic climate control, a leather-wrapped gearshift knob and a split-folding rear seat with a load-through hatch.
The range of optional features includes dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, a power-folding rear seat, aluminum or driftwood interior accents, perforated Nappa leather upholstery, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, an eight-way power-adjustable front passenger seat, manual cushion extenders for the front seats and a snazzy Orrefors crystal gearshift knob.
XC40 buyers have a choice of two powertrains, and each features a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. Volvo refers to the base powertrain as the T4, and it comes with front-wheel drive and an engine good for 187 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. With the optional T5 powertrain, you get all-wheel drive and output of 248 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Both powertrains are governed by an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Our XC40 T5 Momentum test vehicle was fun to drive. The engine provided crisp and eager acceleration, allowing us to easily weave through freeway traffic. Handling felt stable and secure, and our test vehicle tackled corners with minimal body roll. Braking was timely and responsive. The ride quality offered a level of communicativeness that we enjoyed, and it gives the XC40 a sporty and engaging disposition. The caveat is that the crossover’s suspension settings are a bit firm. Other models offer a softer and more forgiving ride quality.
The XC40 achieves EPA-rated fuel economy of up to 23/33 mpg city/highway. These figures are about average for the segment.
Volvo’s XC40 is capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds.
Technology is one of the XC40’s key strengths. Base models come with tech features like a 9-inch touchscreen, a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, mobile Wi-Fi, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto smartphone integration, three USB ports, voice recognition, HD and satellite radio, an eight-speaker sound system, keyless ignition and Bluetooth phone and audio streaming. The options list includes keyless entry, navigation, a wireless device charger and a 13-speaker Harman Kardon stereo.
We loved interacting with the XC40’s touchscreen interface. The setup has the modern look and feel of a tablet. Various menu functions are easily accessed by swiping from screen to screen. The microfiber glass-cleaning cloth that came with our test vehicle was a nice touch, and it made it a breeze for us to keep the touchscreen free of smudges.
As you’d expect from any vehicle bearing the Volvo badge, the XC40 comes with a broad range of active safety features. Base models are equipped with a rearview camera, lane-departure warning and mitigation, a driver-drowsiness monitor and forward collision mitigation. The list of options includes adaptive cruise control, a blind-spot warning system, a surround-view camera, front and rear parking sensors, rear cross-traffic alert and a self-parking system.
The XC40 T4 Momentum starts at $33,200, not including a $995 destination fee. The T4 R-Design begins at $35,700, and pricing for the T4 Inscription kicks off at $38,395. Stepping up to the T5 powertrain brings a $2,000 price increase with Momentum and R-Design models and a $1,355 increase with the Inscription trim.
R-Design models add features such as 19-inch wheels, a gesture-controlled tailgate and dual-zone automatic climate control. The Inscription trim level brings in amenities such as a panoramic sunroof, driftwood interior accents and a crystal gearshift knob.
We believe the T4 Momentum offers levels of luxury and performance that will be pleasing for most shoppers. We’d equip this model with the Vision package ($1,100), which adds a blind-spot warning system, power-folding side mirrors, rear cross-traffic alert, front and rear parking sensors, a self-parking system and auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors. From the options list, we’d add the keyless entry with gesture-controlled tailgate opening ($575). An XC40 T4 Momentum that’s equipped with all these features has a total price of $35,870, including destination.
Volvo’s XC40 has a starting price that’s relatively accessible. When you combine this with its generous list of standard features, this crossover’s value proposition becomes clear.
With its eye-catching sheet metal and spacious seating, the 2019 Volvo XC40 delivers style and comfort. It also offers enjoyable handling and impressive feature content.
The XC40 is a great pick for shoppers seeking a small luxury crossover that offers flair, value and the most up-to-date range of amenities.
Specs & Features
- Ice White
- Bright Silver Metallic
- Onyx Black Metallic
- Amazon Blue
- Black Stone
- Osmium Grey Metallic
- Fusion Red Metallic
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 7.5 Inches
- Tire Type: 235/55r18
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Black
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Roofline
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Hidden
- Grille Color: Black With Chrome Accents
- Window Trim: Black
- Skid Plate(s): Front/Rear
- Rocker Panel Color: Black
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Width Without Mirrors: 73.3 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 8.3 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 21.7 Degrees
- Width: 80.1 Inches
- Length: 174.2 Inches
- Height: 65.3 Inches
- Wheelbase: 106.4 Inches
- Break-over Angle: 21.9 Degrees
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 4759 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 64 Inches
- Curb Weight: 3574 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 30.4 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 63 Inches
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Pass-thru/Rear Center With Cupholders
- Air Filtration: Active Charcoal
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Cargo Area Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Alloy/Leather
- Dash Trim: Aluminum
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Trim: Aluminum
- Steering Wheel Trim: Alloy/Leather
- Interior Accents: Aluminum
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Cargo Area Floor Mat
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- Watts: 220
- Connected In-car Apps: Google POIs/Google Search/SiriusXM Travel Link/Yelp/App Marketplace Integration/Vehicle Diagnostics/Weather
- Total Speakers: 8
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Internet Radio App: Gracenote/Pandora/Spotify/Stitcher/TuneIn
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready/Apple CarPlay Ready/Sensus Connect
- 4-way Power Lumbar-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Bucket Front Seats
- 6-Way Manual Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Flat-Folding Rear Seat
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Upholstery: Leather
- Passenger Volume: 98.0 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 5
- Front Hip Room: 54.7 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 56.7 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 54.6 Inches
- Interior Volume: 123 Cubic Feet
- Rear Legroom: 36.1 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 47.2 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 40.9 Inches
- Front Headroom: 39 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 39.1 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 25 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 56.3 Inches
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated/With Read Function
- Phone: Voice Operated
- Satellite Communications: Volvo On-Call
- Wifi: Hotspot Compatible
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Axle Ratio: 3.33
- Drive Mode Selector
- Locking Differential: Center
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Tuned Suspension: Touring
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- Engine Type: 4 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 2.0
- Horsepower: 187
- Torque: 221
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 Pounds
- Transmission Type: 8-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.34
- Turning Circle: 37.4
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 23
- Highway (MPG): 33
- Combined (MPG): 27
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Battery Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 144 Months
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Lane Deviation Sensors
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Impact Absorbing Seats: Dual Front
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/visual Warning
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Impact Sensor: Door Unlock
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Rollover Stability Control: Standard
- Traffic Sign Recognition
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Safety Brake Pedal System
- Cross Traffic Alert: Rear
- Automatic Hazard Warning Lights
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard
Shopping for a Used Car?
carfax.com has thousands of car dealers with used cars for sale
- Alfa Romeo
- AM General
- Aston Martin
- Land Rover