2019 Hyundai Veloster Review
- User Reviews
- Price Range*$21,988 - $25,995
- Average Selling Price*$23,928
- Original MSRP$18,500 - $22,750
- Fuel Economy (MPG)25/33 City/Hwy
- Body StylesCoupe
By Warren Clarke (Last Updated 9/14/2018)
Sporty styling makes the 2019 Hyundai Veloster a standout, and its nimble handling facilitates an engaging driving experience. The Veloster also offers a compelling range of driver-assistive features.
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster is a compact two-door hatchback that seats four passengers. Buyers can choose from five trims: base, Premium, Turbo R-Spec, Turbo and Turbo Ultimate. All models are front-wheel drive, and two engines are available.
Hyundai has redesigned the Veloster for the 2019 model year. The overhaul upgrades the car’s cabin and sheet metal, and it brings in a raft of new technology features.
The Veloster’s sheet metal is modern and muscular. Intricate sculpting adds depth to the car’s rounded hood, and the front fascia features a large six-cornered grille and slanted headlights. The Veloster’s profile is bold and dramatic, with a beltline that rises steeply as it approaches the rear wheel well. The rear fascia features a sturdy-looking bumper and high taillights that extend to the roof.
Our Veloster R-Spec test car came in a lively shade Hyundai calls Sunset Orange, and this hue flattered the car’s sleek lines. Overall, our test car had a youthful, energetic look that, to our eyes, was distinctive without being too gaudy.
Base models are equipped with automatic projector-beam headlights, heated power-adjustable side mirrors, body-colored exterior door handles, black beltline molding around the windows, LED daytime running lights and 17-inch wheels. The list of optional equipment includes LED headlights, rain-sensing windshield wipers, LED taillights, side mirrors with integrated turn signals, 18-inch wheels and a sunroof.
Overall, the Veloster’s cabin looks quite contemporary. Our test car’s black-on-black interior showcased solid fit and finish. The materials used throughout the cabin were mostly adequate, but we noticed a few hard plastics. While this car’s cabin isn’t as upscale as that of certain rivals, it provides a pleasant and attractive environment for passengers.
The front seats are comfortable, but the second row may be a tight fit for taller adults. The cargo area features a wide hatch opening that makes it easy to access. With all seats in place, the Veloster provides 19.9 cubic feet of cargo capacity, and this figure swells to 44.5 cubic feet with the rear seats lowered. While these figures allow for good utility, some rivals offer more room. For example, the 2018 Chevrolet Cruze hatchback provides 22.7 cubic feet of cargo space with its rear seats in place and 47.2 cubic feet with these seats lowered.
Standard interior features for the 2019 Veloster include air conditioning, power windows and door locks, a six-way adjustable driver’s seat, a 60/40-split folding rear seat, cloth upholstery and a tilt-and-telescoping steering column. The range of optional amenities includes alloy pedals, heated front seats, automatic climate control and cloth upholstery with leather inserts.
Veloster buyers can choose between two engines. Base and Premium trims are motivated by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that provides 132 horsepower and 147 pound-feet of torque. This engine is offered with either a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic.
Turbo R-Spec, Turbo and Turbo Ulitmate trims come with a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine good for 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This power plant may be teamed with either a six-speed manual transmission or a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. Note that Turbo R-Spec models are available solely with the manual transmission.
We were impressed with the athletic performance provided by our Veloster R-Spec test car. Its turbocharged engine delivered crisp acceleration, and its manual transmission was agile and easy to use. Braking was sharp and precise, and the car felt nimble and composed during our travels throughout the city.
EPA-estimated fuel economy for the 2019 Veloster tops out at 28/34 mpg city/highway. While the Veloster provides strong fuel efficiency, certain competing models will be easier on your wallet at the gas pump. For example, the 2018 Honda Civic delivers fuel economy of up to 32/42 mpg.
The Veloster comes with an appealing range of tech features. Base models are equipped with Bluetooth connectivity, a 7-inch touch screen, a six-speaker sound system, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto smartphone integration, auxiliary input jacks and dual USB charging ports.
Optional tech features include keyless entry and ignition, a head-up display, satellite radio, an 8-inch touch screen, navigation, a premium Infiniti sound system and a wireless device charger.
We’re big fans of Hyundai’s infotainment interface. It’s intuitively designed, and it allows you to access the car’s amenities in a straightforward manner.
The Veloster’s numerous driver-assistive features make it an appealing choice in the marketplace. Standard amenities include a rearview camera, forward collision mitigation, a driver-drowsiness monitor and lane-keep assist. Adaptive cruise control, pedestrian detection, rear cross-traffic alert and a blind-spot warning system are optional.
Base-model Velosters start at $18,500, not including an $885 destination charge. The Premium trim level starts at $22,750, while Turbo R-Spec models like our test vehicle start at $22,900. Turbo models kick off at $25,400, and the range-topping Turbo Ultimate trim level begins at $26,650.
We imagine most buyers will find the Veloster’s Premium trim level ideal. These models come equipped with some of the Veloster’s most desirable optional amenities. The list includes 18-inch wheels, a sunroof, an Infiniti eight-speaker sound system, a blind-spot warning system, rear cross-traffic alert, a wireless device charger, keyless entry and ignition, heated front seats, cloth upholstery with leather inserts, automatic climate control and an 8-inch touch screen. A Veloster Premium hatchback costs $23,635, including destination.
With its reasonable pricing and extensive range of standard features, the 2019 Hyundai Veloster offers solid value in a segment packed with capable choices.
The 2019 Veloster is a great match for shoppers seeking a compact hatchback that’s easy on the eyes and pleasant to drive. Its keen handling makes it an enjoyable ally in everyday travels, and its generous lineup of standard amenities helps this Hyundai provide outstanding value.
Sensibly priced and easy to live with, the 2019 Hyundai Veloster shines as a smart pick in a very competitive segment.
Specs & Features
- Ultra Black
- Chalk White/Black
- Thunder Gray/Black
- Sunset Orange/Black
- Racing Red/Black
- Sonic Silver/Black
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 17.0 X 7.0 Inches
- Tire Type: P215/45r17 H
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Roofline
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Grille Color: Black
- Window Trim: Black
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Width Without Mirrors: 71 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 5.6 Inches
- Width: 71 Inches
- Length: 167 Inches
- Height: 55.1 Inches
- Wheelbase: 104.3 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 3748 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 62 Inches
- Curb Weight: 2822 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 61.5 Inches
- Door Sill Trim: Scuff Plate
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Interior Accents: Chrome/Metallic-tone
- Air Filtration
- Front Air Conditioning
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- 6-Way Manual Driver Seat Adjustments
- Bucket Front Seats
- 4-Way Manual Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Upholstery: Premium Cloth
- Antenna Type: Mast
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- Radio: AM/FM/Touch Screen Display
- Radio Data System
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Total Speakers: 6
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready/Apple CarPlay Ready
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated/With Read Function
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Passenger Volume: 89.9 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 4
- Front Hip Room: 54.1 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 56 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 46.5 Inches
- Interior Volume: 109.8 Cubic Feet
- Rear Legroom: 34.1 Inches
- Front Legroom: 42.6 Inches
- Front Headroom: 38 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 36 Inches
- Standard Seating: 4
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 19.9 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 54.3 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 4.47
- Drive Mode Selector
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 25
- Highway (MPG): 33
- Combined (MPG): 28
- Engine Type: 4 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 2.0
- Horsepower: 147
- Torque: 132
- Transmission Type: 6-speed Manual
- Type: M
- Gears: 6
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.32
- Turning Circle: 34.8
- Rear Suspension Type: Torsion Beam
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 23 mm
- Front Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 15 mm
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- New Car Basic Warranty: 60 Months/60,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 120 Months/100,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 84 Months
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Lane Deviation Sensors
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/visual Warning
- Impact Absorbing Bumpers
- Driver Attention Alert System
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard