2018 Audi A5 Review
- Original MSRP$42,800 - $57,200
- Fuel Economy (MPG)24/34 City/Hwy
- Body StylesCoupe, Convertible
By Chris Brewer (Last Updated 4/18/2018)
Attractive styling and excellent performance are hallmarks of the 2018 Audi A5. The A5 also has a premium interior to its credit, and its cabin is home to a superb design and top-quality materials.
The 2018 Audi A5 is a luxury car that is available as a coupe, convertible and a four-door hatchback. Coupe and convertible models seat four, while the hatchback seats five passengers. The A5 is sold in Premium, Premium Plus and Prestige trim levels, and all models come with all-wheel drive and a turbocharged four-cylinder engine.
For 2018, the A5 has been completely redesigned. The four-door hatchback (known as the Sportback) is a new body style for 2018.
Audi’s A5 is sporty yet elegant. Fans of the coupe and convertible will find that Audi’s redesign equates to a gentle styling evolution that looks fresh but keeps with tradition. Dimensions are relatively the same; the new A5 is a tad longer, its height is identical to that of the outgoing model and changes in the car’s width are measured in fractions of an inch. The front fascia is more aggressive, with sharper corners and a broader grille. The profile reveals a flowing beltline with accentuated fender flares that suggest the muscular nature of the powertrain.
The base Premium trim comes with 18-inch alloy wheels, LED daytime running lights, automatic xenon headlights, LED taillights, dual chrome exhaust tips, rain-sensing wipers and heated power-adjustable side mirrors with integrated turn signals. Coupes and hatchbacks come with a panoramic sunroof. Exterior upgrades include 19-inch wheels, handsfree trunk or tailgate release and LED headlights.
The 2018 A5 presents an interior that is elegant in its simplicity. The materials used are impeccable, and the cabin is constructed to exacting standards. The front sport-themed seats are designed for excellent ergonomics and driving comfort. Controls are nicely implemented and intuitive.
The rear seat in the coupe and convertible is small, limiting its usefulness. Smaller passengers can be accommodated, but the seats present a tight fit for the average adult. The all-new Sportback is a different story. With four doors and a back seat that accommodates three passengers, the A5 Sportback is a viable option for families.
Trunk space measures in at 11.6 cubic feet for the coupe and 9.3 cubic feet for the convertible. These figures aren’t generous, but they’re competitive with the capacity offered by rival models. The Sportback’s hatchback design gives it ample cargo capacity, and this model serves up a healthy 21.8 cubic feet of space for your belongings.
Base A5 models include leather upholstery and aluminum trim. Power-adjustable front seats, an auto-dimming rearview mirror with a digital compass, a manual tilt-and-telescopic steering column and three-zone automatic climate control are also standard on the A5. Available upgrades include heated front seats and an S line Sport package that includes sport seats and other cosmetic treatments.
The 2018 Audi A5 is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 252 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. A seven-speed dual-clutch automated transmission and all-wheel drive are standard on all models, while a six-speed manual transmission is available only in the coupe. The six-speed manual transmission adds no additional cost to the vehicle.
The small turbocharged engine is powerful, and regardless of the transmission featured, the A5 is exciting to drive. Audi’s new A5 is also fuel efficient. The base A5 coupe, convertible and Sportback get an EPA-estimated 24/34 mpg city/highway, while the A5 coupe with the manual gets up to 24/33 mpg.
As tested, our Audi A5 Prestige coupe provided a thrilling driving experience. The dual-clutch transmission rewarded us with extremely quick shifts that complemented the surprisingly powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged engine. The sport-tuned suspension delivered a rewarding driving experience. Assisted by the standard all-wheel-drive system, our A5 was composed around tight corners yet comfortable on bumpy road surfaces. Steering was precise, and braking was excellent.
The 2018 Audi A5 includes a 10-speaker single-CD audio system, a 7-inch infotainment display and a second 7-inch driver information display in the gauge cluster. Audi’s base infotainment system includes HD radio, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto smartphone integration, voice recognition and Bluetooth connectivity. Keyless entry and ignition is also standard.
Our Prestige review vehicle included Audi’s Virtual Cockpit system, a head-up display and navigation. Virtual Cockpit replaces the traditional gauge cluster with a 12.3-inch widescreen display. The screen is highly configurable and can feature full navigation maps, audio or driving information, along with minimized gauges that change based on the selected driving mode.
This list of options also includes a Bang & Olufsen 19-speaker surround-sound system, a touch controller that recognizes your handwriting and a larger 8.3-inch center infotainment screen.
The base A5 comes standard with a rearview camera and Audi Pre Sense Basic and Pre Sense City. The Pre Sense systems work with on-vehicle cameras and sensors to detect and avoid potential collisions. Available driver-assistance features include a parking system with a top-view camera, rear cross-traffic assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning, lane assist, high beam assist and traffic sign recognition.
The 2018 Audi A5 coupe starts at $42,800 plus a $975 destination charge. The A5 convertible and Sportback models start at $49,600 and $42,600, respectively.
Our test A5 Prestige included options such as dark walnut wood inlays ($350), a driver-assistance package ($1,800), an adaptive suspension ($1,000) and a heated three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with shift paddles ($200). After destination, our 2018 Audi A5 Prestige coupe had a suggested price of $53,750.
While we can understand the value of the Prestige model, our advice would be to purchase the base Premium trim and add the upgrades that you would like. However, Audi has limited the availability of certain active safety features to the Premium Plus and Prestige models, so you will need to purchase either of these trims you are looking for those options.
With attractive styling, class-leading performance and a comfortable interior, the 2018 Audi A5 is an excellent choice whether you opt for the coupe, convertible or all-new Sportback. The A5 allows owners to enjoy leather upholstery and the latest smartphone technologies without adding pricey option packages. Driving enthusiasts will appreciate the A5’s fuel-efficient yet hardy turbocharged powertrain, sport-tuned suspension, overachieving brakes and precise steering.
Specs & Features
- Monsoon Gray Metallic
- Gotland Green Metallic
- Glacier White Metallic
- Matador Red Metallic
- Scuba Blue Metallic
- Ibis White
- Florett Silver Metallic
- Brilliant Black
- Moonlight Blue Metallic
- Mythos Black Metallic
- Manhattan Gray Metallic
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Lip
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Window Trim: Aluminum
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.5 Inches
- Tire Type: P245/40r18 93h
- Width Without Mirrors: 72.7 Inches
- Width: 79.9 Inches
- Length: 184 Inches
- Height: 54 Inches
- Wheelbase: 108.8 Inches
- Rear Track Width: 61.7 Inches
- Curb Weight: 3605 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 62.5 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Storage And Pass-thru/Rear Center With Cupholders
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Leather
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Interior Accents: Aluminum
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control/Independently Controlled
- Door Sill Trim: Aluminum
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack/Memory Card Slot
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback
- Digital Sound Processing
- Total Speakers: 10
- Antenna Type: Mast
- Remote CD Changer Location: Glove Compartment
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Voice Operated
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready/Apple CarPlay Ready/Audi MMI Connect
- 4-way Power Lumbar-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Bucket Front Seats
- 8-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 40-20-40 Split Rear Seat
- Upholstery: Leather
- Passenger Volume: 84.0 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 4
- Front Shoulder Room: 55.3 Inches
- Rear Legroom: 32.7 Inches
- Front Legroom: 41.3 Inches
- Front Headroom: 39 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 36.1 Inches
- Standard Seating: 4
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 11.6 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 50.7 Inches
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated/With Read Function
- Wifi: Hotspot
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- 4WD Type: Full Time
- Axle Ratio: 4.27
- Center Differential: Mechanical
- Drive Mode Selector
- Limited Slip Differential: Center
- Transmission Type: 7-speed Double Clutch
- Type: A
- Gears: 7
- Engine Type: 4 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 2.0
- Horsepower: 252
- Torque: 273
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Double Ball Joint/Multi-link
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts
- Acceleration (0-60MPH): 5.6
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.29
- Turning Circle: 37.7
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 24
- Highway (MPG): 34
- Combined (MPG): 27
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 144 Months
- Small Overlap Front - Driver SideG
- Small Overlap Front - Passenger SideN/A
- Moderate Overlap FrontG
- Side ImpactG
- Roof StrengthG
- Head Restraints and SeatsG
- Front Crash PreventionSuperior
- HeadlightsMwith optional equipment
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/visual Warning
- Impact Absorbing Bumpers
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Impact Sensor: Door Unlock/fuel Cut-off/post-collision Safety System
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Steel Body Panels
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Emergency Interior Trunk Release
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard