2017 Toyota Land Cruiser Review
- Original MSRP$84,775
- Fuel Economy (MPG)13/18 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
By Matt Keegan (Last Updated 12/13/2017)
Solid and brawny, the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser cuts a powerful figure on city streets, and it provides capable on- and off-road performance. The Land Cruiser also delivers a cabin packed with premium amenities.
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is a full-size SUV with seating for eight. The Land Cruiser is powered by a V8 engine, and it’s governed by an eight-speed automatic transmission. Full-time four-wheel drive is standard, and the Land Cruiser comes in a single well-equipped trim.
With its broad grille, long hood and sturdy shoulders, the 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser exudes confidence. It provides a modern take on a time-honored SUV design, with character lines, body sculpting and chrome ornamentation offering flair and distinction.
In front, a tall front fascia houses projector-beam headlights with automatic leveling, as well as standard LED daytime running lights and fog lights. A standard roof rack is visible from the side, and a color-keyed spoiler adds visual interest in the SUV’s rear.
All models come with a power tilt-and-slide moonroof with a sunshade, stationary aluminum running boards, mud guards, front and rear skid plates and front and rear tow hooks. Split-spoke 18-inch alloy wheels are standard, and a full-size spare tire is located underneath the vehicle, just below the rear cargo area.
Few SUVs offer sufficient room for eight, but the 2017 Land Cruiser is one that does. The front seats are well padded and bolstered and offer heating and cooling functions. The second-row seat supplies heating for outboard passengers on this 40/20/40-split design. The third-row 50/50-split folding bench seat also holds three, but the padding is thinner, and the seats are best used by children.
Leather is generously apportioned throughout the cabin beginning with the semi-aniline seats. A heated leather-wrapped steering wheel and a leather-wrapped transmission shifter with wood trim are also present. Soft-touch materials cover most other surfaces.
A four-zone automatic climate control system provides localized control for the second- and third-row passengers. Both front seats are power operated and come with lumbar support. In the front row, there’s a covered center console that features two levels and includes a cooling compartment. Full power accessories, an auto-dimming rearview mirror and first- and second-row map lights round out the Land Cruiser’s list of standard interior amenities.
Standard cargo volume measures just 16.1 cubic feet behind the third-row seat. Fold the rear seat and 43 cubic feet of space becomes available. Storage space peaks at 81.7 cubic feet with the second-row seat folded and the third row removed.
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser is powered by a 5.7-liter V8 engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The engine is robust, serving 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. Full-time four-wheel drive is standard.
Fuel efficiency is 13/18 mpg city/highway for a model that runs on regular-grade gasoline. Though fuel ratings in this category are typically low, the Land Cruiser is less efficient than most competitors.
On the road, the Land Cruiser delivers a quiet and very comfortable ride. Excellent off-the-mark acceleration and passing power inspire confidence, and the transmission delivers smooth shifts. Braking is firm with little fade detected. This model has an 8,100-pound tow rating.
The Land Cruiser is a traditional SUV and is designed to go where less rugged models don’t dare tread. The SUV’s crawl control feature takes over acceleration when activated, and is ideal for navigating the most punishing terrain. Its multi-terrain system can be dialed in to push through sand, climb rocks or free the SUV from mud. The locking center differential brings in an extra measure of confidence for handling wheel slip and traction.
This SUV’s credentials are beyond dispute, and it delivers perhaps the best combination of on-road comfort and off-road capabilities you’ll find anywhere. It doesn’t seem over-engineered, while delivering the modern conveniences customers expect.
The 2017 Land Cruiser offers a long list of standard technologies. You’ll find a JBL audio system comprised of 14 speakers, including a subwoofer. Satellite radio, HD radio, a CD player, Bluetooth connectivity, Siri Eyes Free and USB connectivity are included.
The infotainment system features a 9-inch screen, navigation and an assembly of apps. You’ll also find an integrated backup camera display. At the base of the stack is a Qi-compatible wireless charging station.
Toyota’s center console is easy to decipher and simple to learn. Colorful maps are provided, and the voice recognition does a great job of interpreting spoken commands. Access via voice or touch screen minimizes distraction. You can also use the command knob located to the right of the transmission shifter to manage the screen.
The Land Cruiser is equipped with a rear-seat entertainent system featuring a pair of seatback-mounted 11.6-inch screens. RCA jacks, HDMI input, a remote and a pair of wireless headphones are included. A 120-volt outlet is located in the rear storage area.
You’ll find a broad package of standard safety features, in part reflecting this model’s high value. The Land Cruiser’s strong showing in this area also highlights Toyota’s safety commitment throughout the product family.
Toyota Safety Sense-P (TSS-P), a suite of safety features, is standard. It is comprised of a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane departure alert, automatic high beams and adaptive cruise control.
This model comes with trailer-sway control, hill-start assist and front and rear parking assist. As for crashworthiness ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this SUV has never been crash tested, because of its cost. However, that lack of crash test data is not unusual for an SUV in this class.
The 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser costs $84,775 plus a $1,195 destination fee. A few accessories are offered, including a carpet mat package ($225) and a remote engine starter ($499).
The Land Cruiser’s cost is far above what you’ll pay for competing models such as the Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Tahoe, and this makes it a somewhat questionable proposition. With its leather interior and generous standard equipment, it might also be compared with the similarly priced Land Rover Range Rover and the Cadillac Escalade. However, it lacks the premium cachet these models offer. For an additional $5,000, you can get behind the wheel of the very similar Lexus LX 570.
Muscular looks, strong performance a premium interior, and excellent trailering and off-road capabilities place the Toyota Land Cruiser in a class with few true competitors. Its high cost is justified in part by its off-road engineering, enabling this SUV to endure severe conditions with ease. Still, you might consider the slightly larger and much less costly Toyota Sequoia if traversing solid pavement is your main objective.
Specs & Features
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Magnetic Gray Metallic
- Classic Silver Metallic
- Blizzard Pearl
- Brandywine Mica
- Blue Onyx Pearl
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: P285/60r18 116v
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Roofline
- Exhaust Tip Color: Stainless-steel
- Running Board Color: Aluminum
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Mudguards: Front/Rear
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Running Boards: Step
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Skid Plate(s): Front/Rear
- Body Side Moldings: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Width Without Mirrors: 78 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 8.9 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 32 Degrees
- Width: 78 Inches
- Length: 194.9 Inches
- Height: 74 Inches
- Wheelbase: 112.2 Inches
- Break-over Angle: 21.0 Degrees
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 7385 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 64.7 Inches
- Curb Weight: 5815 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 24 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 64.9 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Rear Vents: Third Row
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Storage/Rear Center With Cupholders
- Air Filtration
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Alloy
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Trim: Leatherette
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather/Wood
- Interior Accents: Leather/Woodgrain
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control/Independently Controlled
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Semi-aniline Leather
- Rear Seat: Heated/Sliding
- Third Row Seat Folding: Flat
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Upholstery Accents: Perforated
- Passenger Seat: Heated/Ventilated
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 8-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- 40-20-40 Split Rear Seat
- Third Row Seat Type: 50-50 Split Bench
- Driver Seat: Heated/Ventilated
- Video Monitor Location: Dual Rear
- Radio Data System
- Remote Control: Video
- Headphones: Wireless
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Video Monitor Size: 11.6
- Total Speakers: 13
- Video System: DVD Player/Auxiliary HDMI Input/Auxiliary Audio/video Input
- Video Monitor
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Subwoofer: 1
- Internet Radio App: Gracenote/Pandora/Slacker/IHeartRadio
- Premium Brand: JBL
- Infotainment: Entune
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated/With Read Function
- Navigation System: Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Phone: Hands Free
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Max Seating: 8
- Front Hip Room: 59.4 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 61 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 58.6 Inches
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 43 Cubic Feet
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 56.6
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 28.3
- Rear Legroom: 34.4 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 81.7 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 42.9 Inches
- Front Headroom: 38.3 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 38.9 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 35.8
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 62.3
- Standard Seating: 8
- Seating Rows: 3
- Cargo Volume: 16.1 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 61.1 Inches
- 4WD Type: Full Time
- Axle Ratio: 3.31
- Center Differential: Mechanical
- Drive Mode Selector
- Limited Slip Differential: Center
- Locking Differential: Center
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 8100 Pounds
- Engine Type: 8 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 5.7
- Horsepower: 381
- Torque: 401
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Double Wishbone
- Rear Suspension Classification: Solid Live Axle
- Front Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 43 mm
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Tuned Suspension: Off-road
- Rear Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 25 mm
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.35
- Turning Circle: 38.7
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 13
- Highway (MPG): 18
- Combined (MPG): 15
- Transmission Type: 8-speed Automatic W/sequential Shift Mode
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- New Car Basic Warranty: 36 Months/36,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 60 Months/60,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 60 Months
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Blind Spot Safety: Sensor/alert
- Lane Deviation Sensors
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Surround View
- Pre-collision Warning System: Audible Warning/visual Warning
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Active Head Restraints: Dual Front
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Parking Sensors: Front/rear
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Autonomous Braking
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Safety Brake Pedal System
- Cross Traffic Alert: Rear
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard