2017 Ford F-250 Review
- Original MSRP$32,535 - $62,510
- Fuel Economy (MPG)N/A
- Body StylesCrew Cab, SuperCab, Regular Cab
By Jim Sharifi (Last Updated 12/19/2017)
Fully revamped for 2017, the Ford F-250 Super Duty brings the latest technology and convenience features to the heavy-duty truck segment. At the same time, two powerful engine choices ensure that the F-250 succeeds as a work truck, offering plenty of brute force when it’s time to tow a trailer or haul a heavy load.
The Ford F-250 Super Duty has been fully redesigned for 2017. Like the F-150, the Super Duty now features an aluminum body that contributes to a lighter curb weight, while improvements to this heavy-duty truck’s frame result in a significantly stronger chassis.
Ford offers the 2017 F-250 in XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum trims. Buyers can choose between regular, extended (SuperCab) and Crew Cab models, which are available with a 6-foot-8-inch or 8-foot bed. A V8 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard, and they’re mated to standard rear-wheel drive or an optional four-wheel-drive system. A turbodiesel V8 engine is also offered.
While its aluminum-alloy body may be unusual for the class, the Ford F-250’s new sheet metal undoubtedly conveys that this heavy-duty truck is “Built Ford Tough.” A tall, broad grille provides a commanding presence up front, while the F-250’s profile reveals wheel choices that range from 17-inch steel wheels on the base F-250 XL to 20-inch alloys on the F-250 Platinum.
Our test truck’s available power-folding sideview mirrors also had a functional touch, thanks to a power telescoping function. That feature allows you to extend the mirrors outward at the touch of a button, improving views to the rear if you’re towing a large trailer.
The base F-250’s exterior highlights include black front and rear bumpers and a black bar-style grille, along with halogen headlamps, manual telescoping sideview mirrors and a pair of front tow hooks. Available upgrades include privacy glass, a power locking tailgate with remote release, LED box lighting, fog lights, LED headlights, chrome or body-color front and rear bumpers and power-deploying side steps.
With choices that range from basic work truck to oversized luxury liner, Ford has done a commendable job of giving buyers a large palette of options with the redesigned 2017 Super Duty. Our test truck, an F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab, featured a cabin that was at once utilitarian and luxurious, with attractive leather upholstery, genuine wood trim and stitched, soft-touch surfaces across the door panels, center console and dash.
Our F-250 Crew Cab was also exceptionally roomy, with broad front seats and a rear bench that offered expansive head- and legroom. Our test truck’s heated steering wheel and seats were both appreciated on cold winter mornings, and a massage function was also available for the driver and front passenger. Most interior controls were logically arranged, though some selections (like the heated steering wheel) require diving into on-screen menus through the available Sync 3 infotainment system. That system features a touch screen that was responsive when we were wearing gloves, though we had to press a bit more firmly to make selections.
Like most work trucks, the base F-250 Super Duty is sparsely equipped, with features like cruise control and power windows and locks on the options list. Higher trims add upgrades such as cloth or leather upholstery, dual-zone automatic climate control, remote start, keyless entry/ignition and an expansive panoramic moonroof.
The 2017 F-250 Super Duty comes standard with a 6.2-liter V8 engine that delivers 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard.
An optional turbodiesel V8 gave our four-wheel-drive F-250 plenty of power, regardless of the driving situation. That engine displaces 6.7 liters and delivers 440 horsepower and an exceptional 925 pound-feet of torque. The six-speed automatic was also well-matched to the engine, with smooth, confident shifts.
The F-250 is a heavy-duty truck, and its ride quality suffers a little bit in the name of utility, at least in comparison to half-ton competitors like the Ram 1500 and the related Ford F-150. It’s also a large vehicle that can be a little cumbersome to maneuver, particularly in parking lots and congested urban environments. Still, Ford’s newest Super Duty is a willing companion on open roads, and it’s more than up to the task when it’s time to haul a heavy load or tow a trailer.
When properly equipped, the 2017 F-250 can tow up to 18,000 pounds (18,600 pounds with a gooseneck trailer). Payload capacity tops out at a maximum of 4,200 pounds.
The base F-250 Super Duty comes standard with a four-speaker audio system (six speakers in SuperCab and Crew Cab models) and an auxiliary input jack. Optional tech upgrades include navigation, satellite radio, a 10-speaker Sony audio system, Bluetooth and USB connectivity and Ford’s Sync 3 infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration.
Ford deserves recognition for making the 2017 Super Duty available with the latest tech features, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Our test truck’s Sync 3 system performed flawlessly, with quick response times and intuitive menus that were easy to navigate.
Our F-250 King Ranch also came with some unique features that enhance its convenience as a work truck. A configurable driver information display in the gauge cluster featured tabs to monitor towing and off-road driving conditions, while a row of six prewired auxiliary switches add a functional element for owners who plan to outfit their F-250 with aftermarket gear.
In crash tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the rear-wheel-drive Ford F-250 Crew Cab earned a top overall rating of five stars. The four-wheel-drive Crew Cab model did not perform as well in NHTSA’s rollover test, resulting in a slightly lower four-star overall rating.
Every Ford F-250 Super Duty comes with a post-crash alert system and MyKey, which allows owners to set limits on parameters like the F-250’s top speed and stereo volume. Forward collision warning, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, a surround-view camera system and blind spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert are among the F-250’s available driver assistance features.
The F-250 Super Duty is a large vehicle that can be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. As a result, we found the available surround-view camera system particularly useful in our tests.
The 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty starts at $32,535 plus a $1,295 destination charge. That price gets you a basic, regular cab work truck with a standard V8 engine and rear-wheel drive. We imagine that many F-250 buyers seek a vehicle that balances work and play, and will likely upgrade to higher trims (and SuperCab or Crew Cab body styles).
Models like our F-250 King Ranch start at $55,755, while a top-trim F-250 Platinum Crew Cab with four-wheel drive starts at $63,605.
We appreciated the high-end touches that the King Ranch trim offered, but suspect that the F-250 Lariat probably hits the sweet spot for many buyers that are looking for more conveniences than a standard work truck provides. That model brings in a premium Sony audio system, Sync 3 and luxury touches like dual-zone automatic climate control, leather upholstery and power-adjustable front seats. Opt for a Crew Cab model with four-wheel drive, and pricing for the F-250 Lariat begins at $52,115.
With its 2017 redesign, the Ford F-250 has set a new high-water mark within the heavy-duty truck segment. Ford has thoughtfully applied much of what it learned with the F-150’s redesign two years earlier, and the result is ultimately a more capable truck that also provides more power, space and the latest tech features. It’s not all flash either, as many of the F-250’s enhancements are practical upgrades that add surprising conveniences to what some might disregard as a basic work truck.
Specs & Features
- Bronze Fire/Caribou
- Shadow Black/Caribou
- Ruby Red Metallic Clearcoat/Caribou
- Blue Jeans
- White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Caribou
- Blue Jeans/Caribou
- Oxford White
- Oxford White/Caribou
- Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- White Gold
- White Gold/Caribou
- Bronze Fire
- Shadow Black
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 Inches
- Tire Type: Lt275/65r18e
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Accent
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Running Board Color: Accent
- Grille Color: Body-color Surround/Chrome
- Running Boards: Illuminated/Step
- Window Trim: Black
- Pickup Bed Light: LED
- Body Side Moldings: Body-color
- Fender Lip Moldings: Accent
- Tailgate: Lift Assist/Power Locking/Power Open/Removable
- Pickup Bed Type: Styleside
- Front Bumper Color: Accent
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Paint: Two-tone
- License Plate Bracket: Front
- Width Without Mirrors: 80 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 8.5 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 17.4 Degrees
- Width: 80 Inches
- Length: 250 Inches
- Height: 78.3 Inches
- Wheelbase: 159.8 Inches
- Break-over Angle: 18.0 Degrees
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 10000 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 67.2 Inches
- Curb Weight: 6052 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 19 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 68.3 Inches
- Crew Cab
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Armrests: Rear Center With Cupholders
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Dash Trim: Wood
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Trim: Leather/Wood
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Center Console Trim: Leather
- Door Sill Trim: Scuff Plate
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack/Memory Card Slot
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Total Speakers: 10
- Video System: Auxiliary Audio/video Input
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Subwoofer: 1
- Premium Brand: Sony
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready/Apple CarPlay Ready/SYNC
- Upholstery: Leather
- Captains Front Seats
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- 10-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Passenger Seat: Cooled/Heated
- Flip And -Folding Rear Seat
- Driver Seat: Cooled/Heated
- Passenger Volume: 131.8 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 5
- Front Hip Room: 62.5 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 66.7 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 64.7 Inches
- Interior Volume: 183.9 Cubic Feet
- Rear Legroom: 43.6 Inches
- Front Legroom: 43.9 Inches
- Front Headroom: 40.8 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 40.4 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 52.1 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 65.9 Inches
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: With Read Function
- Navigation System: Hard Drive/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Phone: Hands Free/Voice Operated
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Axle Ratio: 3.73
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-leaf
- Front Suspension Type: Twin I-beam
- Rear Suspension Classification: Solid Live Axle
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Leaf
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Engine Type: 8 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 6.7
- Horsepower: 440
- Torque: 925
- Turning Circle: 54.7
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 18000 Pounds
- Transmission Type: 6-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 6
- New Car Basic Warranty: 36 Months/36,000 Miles
- Diesel Engine: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 60 Months/100,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 60 Months/60,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 60 Months
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front
- Camera System: Rearview
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Programmable Safety Key
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Parking Sensors: Rear
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Impact Sensor: Alert System/door Unlock/post-collision Safety System
- Daytime Running Lights: Optional
- Rollover Stability Control: Standard
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard