2017 Cadillac XT5 Review
- Original MSRP$39,395 - $62,895
- Fuel Economy (MPG)19/27 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
By Chris Brewer (Last Updated 3/7/2018)
Offering a comfortable, high-tech interior and a striking exterior design, the 2017 Cadillac XT5 is an all-new model in the luxury compact SUV class. The XT5 replaces Cadillac’s outgoing SRX, bringing in more power, better fuel economy and a larger footprint than the model it replaces.
The Cadillac XT5 is a small luxury crossover that’s new for the 2017 model year. It seats five and comes with a V6 engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is available.
The 2017 XT5 is available in four different trim combinations: base, Luxury, Premium Luxury and Platinum. The Luxury and Premium Luxury trims are available with all-wheel drive, while the top Platinum model comes standard with this drivetrain.
Youthful, sophisticated and quietly understated, the all-new XT5 boasts modern lines exuding style and class without crossing into flamboyancy. Cadillac’s newest SUV borrows from the lines of the brand’s flagship Escalade, integrating elements of its design into a smaller package. The result is impressive, as the XT5 draws attention without making a scene.
Jewel-like lights punctuate the chiseled lines of the front and back of the XT5. When equipped, the optional LED headlamps follow the driver’s steering wheel inputs, moving with the curves of the road. The XT5’s wheels are stretched out to the SUV’s four corners, extending the wheelbase to provide a spacious cabin while simultaneously providing a sporty, premium look and feel.
The XT5’s nicely appointed exterior includes standard 18-inch alloy wheels, brushed aluminum roof rails, a capless fueling system and a power liftgate with memory height.
Higher trim levels add a sunroof, heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors, 20-inch wheels and a performance suspension. Platinum models feature front and rear stainless steel skid plates and unique, fully polished 20-inch multi-spoke wheels.
The 2017 XT5’s stylish exterior is complemented by a stylish cabin. The handcrafted cut-and-sewn interior is attractive and comfortable. Okapi deco wood trim is standard, as is a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel.
The overall design is elegant, and the Cadillac XT5’s fit and finish is excellent. The driver’s seat is easy to configure, thanks to the eight-way adjustability. Higher trim levels receive leather-appointed heated and ventilated front seats.
Second-row passengers are provided with excellent legroom and headroom. The 40/20/40 rear seat slides and reclines to provide generous legroom and additional storage space when needed.
Available features include heated outboard seats, tri-zone automatic climate control, a heated steering wheel, a universal tablet holder and much more.
Our review vehicle included a suedelike material on the dashboard that looked nice, but it was already showing dirt in heavily trafficked areas, such as the real estate immediately surrounding the infotainment system. We’d recommend sticking with a less elaborate interior treatment that’s better suited to daily use. Perhaps, for some at least, less will be more when it comes to choosing a trim level.
Cargo capacity is excellent at 30 cubic feet, and it’s expandable to 63 cubic feet when the second-row seats are folded down. An optional cargo management system includes a rail-mounted divider and cargo net to hold groceries in place and separate fragile items.
The 2017 Cadillac XT5 is powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine providing 310 horsepower and 271 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission are standard and all-wheel-drive is available as an option.
Fuel economy is decent considering the XT5’s power and capability. Front-wheel drive models earn 19 mpg city and 27 mpg highway. All-wheel-drive variants yield 18 mpg city and 26 mpg highway.
The driving experience provided by the all-new XT5 is at once fun and forgiving. The steering is precise and the braking is dialed in to keep the crossover in check. The XT5’s suspension is soft enough for long stretches of highway, yet the chassis is designed to keep things lively on winding roadways.
An optional real-time damping suspension adjusts every millisecond, maintaining a smooth ride that yields excellent traction and performance. A “Driver Select Mode” feature available with the Premium Luxury and Platinum trims allows you to configure the XT5 with three distinct drive modes: Touring for everyday driving, Snow/AWD mode for inclement weather and a performance-oriented Sport mode.
The luxurious 2017 Cadillac XT5 includes plenty of easy-to-use technology as standard equipment. The standard CUE infotainment features an 8-inch color touch screen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, satellite radio, wireless charging and Bluetooth connectivity. All XT5 models arrive with a suite of OnStar programs including 4G LTE internet with a wireless hot spot and OnStar guidance. The base Bose eight-speaker audio system sounds great, and the available 14-speaker Bose system as found in our review vehicle provides excellent sound reproduction.
All models feature keyless access, passive entry and push-button start. Dual-zone climate control and power door and window locks are also standard fare.
Available equipment includes rain-sensing windshield wipers, accent lighting, navigation, adaptive cruise control, a head-up display and more. Additionally, the XT5 can be optioned to include a rearview mirror with an active camera system that projects whatever is behind the car onto the screen.
The 2017 XT5 provides ample standard safety equipment and available active safety technology. The base model comes with a full battery of air bags, a rearview camera, rear park assist, traction control and stability control.
The Cadillac XT5 has a long list of available active safety systems and enhancements. Highlights include a surround-vision camera system that provides a bird’s-eye view of the vehicle. Pedestrian detection, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, lane keeping assist, lane departure warning and forward collision warning with automatic braking.
The 2017 Cadillac XT5 starts at $39,990, including a $995 destination charge. The base XT5 arrives with plenty of standard features and represents excellent value within the segment.
By spending $48,385, you can have the XT5 Luxury with all-wheel drive, which is loaded with most of the standard features a luxury crossover owner needs. The modest price increase adds leather upholstery, heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, front and rear park assist and rear cross-traffic alert. A cargo management system and a rear sunshade are also included. Offering ample feature content for a reasonable price, the Luxury trim may be the best option for most consumers.
The top-trim XT5 Platinum with all-wheel drive starts at $63,495, including destination. The Platinum trim adds features like a hands-free power liftgate, 20-inch wheels, semi-aniline leather seats and a configurable suspension system.
The 2017 Cadillac XT5 is a breath of fresh air in the luxury crossover segment, providing a key alternative to German and Japanese favorites. Those looking at the Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW X3, Lexus RX and Acura RDX will also want to take a good look at the XT5.
Even if you aren’t a fan of the XT5’s bold new design, you have to applaud Cadillac’s strong efforts to build a family-friendly crossover that stands out without being flashy. The interior is comfortable and the fit and finish is excellent. If you find the XT5’s interior and exterior styling attractive, you’ll also like the efficient powertrain and rewarding driving experience.
Cadillac has created another segment-leading vehicle with the 2017 XT5. It’s easy to see why the brand’s latest efforts are getting great reviews from consumers and reviewers alike.
Specs & Features
- Radiant Silver Metallic
- Dark Granite Metallic
- Crystal White Tricoat
- Stellar Black Metallic
- Bronze Dune Metallic
- Red Passion Tintcoat
- Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic
- Silver Coast Metallic
- Silver Moonlight Metallic
- Deep Amethyst Metallic
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: P235/65r18 H
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Roofline
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Dual Tip/Integrated
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color With Chrome Accents
- Width Without Mirrors: 75 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 7.8 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 15.8 Degrees
- Width: 75 Inches
- Length: 189.5 Inches
- Height: 66 Inches
- Wheelbase: 112.5 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 6001 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 64.4 Inches
- Curb Weight: 3985 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 23.5 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 64.4 Inches
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Pass-thru
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Humidity/dewpoint Sensors
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: With Read Function
- Satellite Communications: OnStar
- Wifi: Hotspot
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- Total Speakers: 8
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Premium Brand: Bose
- Infotainment: Android Auto Ready/Apple CarPlay Ready/CUE
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Leatherette
- Rear Seat: Sliding
- 8-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- Flat-Folding Rear Seat
- 6-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- 40-20-40 Split Rear Seat
- Passenger Volume: 104.5 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 5
- Front Hip Room: 56 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 58.3 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 54.7 Inches
- Rear Legroom: 39.5 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 63 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 41.2 Inches
- Front Headroom: 38.4 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 36 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 30 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 56.2 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 3.20
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 3.6
- Horsepower: 310
- Torque: 271
- Transmission Type: 8-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 19
- Highway (MPG): 27
- Combined (MPG): 22
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 72 Months/70,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 72 Months
- Small Overlap Front - Driver SideG
- Small Overlap Front - Passenger SideN/A
- Moderate Overlap FrontG
- Side ImpactG
- Roof StrengthG
- Head Restraints and SeatsG
- Front Crash PreventionSuperiorwith optional equipment
- HeadlightsMwith optional equipment
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Camera System: Rearview
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Parking Sensors: Rear
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard