2017 BMW 7 Series Review
- Original MSRP$83,100 - $156,700
- Fuel Economy (MPG)21/29 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSedan
By Chris Brewer (Last Updated 1/23/2018)
The 2017 BMW 7 Series offers excellent performance and an opulent technology-filled cabin. Thanks to its wide range of powertrains, the 7 Series can be everything from a fuel-efficient hybrid to a sports sedan with more than 600 horsepower.
BMW’s 7 Series is a large luxury sedan that seats up to five passengers, and it’s sold in four different trim levels: 740i, 740e iPerformance, 750i and M760i. Both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive are offered.
For the 2017 model year, the 7 Series adds the 740e iPerformance plug-in hybrid and the high-performance M760i. Additionally, the base 740i can now be optioned with all-wheel drive.
Big and bold, the BMW 7 Series’s sheet metal pays homage to the past while evolving toward the future. In front, there’s an oversized BMW-signature twin-kidney grille. The muscular sedan stands tall with generously proportioned window glass that provides excellent visibility. BMW’s use of aluminum, carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic and ultra-tensile steels reduces weight while providing strength and rigidity.
The base 740i is equipped with 18-inch alloy wheels wrapped in run-flat tires. Adaptive LED headlights with automatic high beams and LED fog lights provide illumination, and a dual-pane panoramic sunroof and power-folding heated side mirrors are also included. The 7 Series can be equipped with 19- or 20-inch wheels and an M Sport design package that includes an aerodynamic body kit and unique exterior trim.
Designed and built to rival the finest full-size sedans, the 2017 BMW 7 Series offers a spacious and well-equipped interior. BMW’s driver-friendly cockpit grants easy access to controls, and the open cabin provides ample legroom in both rows of seating. The standard leather upholstery, 10-way power-adjustable heated front seats, wood trim and four-zone climate control equate to a premium experience in any trim level. Sound-deadening features yield a quiet cabin that isolates passengers from road and environmental noise.
Trunk space is impressive at 18.2 cubic feet, which is excellent even in the full-size sedan segment. For comparison, the Mercedes-Benz S550 offers 16.3 cubic feet and the Audi A8 provides 14.2 cubic feet of trunk space.
Available upgrades include Nappa leather upholstery, multicontour front seats, power-adjustable massaging rear seats, a heated steering wheel, power rear-window shades and a larger sunroof with built-in LED lights in the glass.
An optional rear-seat package includes a fixed rear-seat center console that reduces seating capacity to four.
BMW 7 Series buyers have a choice of three different turbocharged engines and a hybrid power plant. Rear-wheel-drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models.
The 740i uses a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that delivers 320 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. Choose the 750i and you’ll get a 4.4-liter V8 that generates 445 horsepower and 480 pound-feet of torque. The top-trim M760i includes a 6.6-liter turbocharged V12 that produces 601 horsepower and 590 pound-feet of torque.
The new-for-2017 740e plug-in hybrid is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor. Combined, they produce 332 horsepower.
The base 740i gets up to an EPA-estimated 21/29 mpg city/highway, while the 750i earns up to 17/26 mpg. The V12-powered M760i gets 13/20 mpg. The hybrid 740e provides the best fuel economy, achieving 64 MPGe combined city/highway with both the gas engine and electric motor, and 27 mpg combined with just the gas engine in play.
The 7 Series sedan certainly feels big, but thanks to the potent powertrains, precise steering and adjustable suspension, it remains nimble. Long stretches of highway pass effortlessly, and spirited runs along twisty back roads are rewarding and fun.
Our V12-powered M760i xDrive test vehicle offered visceral acceleration, incredible braking and poise that rivaled that of many smaller sports sedans. Long-time BMW enthusiasts will question the M badging on the car, but the 601-horsepower sedan delivers performance that is worthy of the emblem. The large-displacement turbocharged engine is among the best that we’ve tested, and the M-inspired suspension and brakes are certainly up to the task of taming the 4,200-pound vehicle.
BMW’s 7 Series arrives with a long list of standard technology features. Included is BMW’s iDrive infotainment system, which is easy to use and powerful. There’s a standard 10.2-inch touch screen and 16-speaker Harmon Kardon sound system, along with navigation, satellite radio, wireless device charging, HD radio, USB and Bluetooth connectivity. All models come with a unique gesture recognition sensor that allows the driver or passenger to control various elements of the infotainment interface with simple hand movements. The 7 Series’s list of standard features also includes a display key with an LCD touch screen that allows the operator to pre-cool or heat the car, check vehicle status and even park remotely.
For many, BMW’s iDrive has evolved into one the best infotainment systems available, and the latest version found in the 7 Series does not disappoint. The gesture recognition system is a nice complement to the already intuitive iDrive interface. The ability to wave off phone calls and turn the volume up or down without taking your eyes off the road is convenient and enhances safety.
Optional features include a head-up display, a 16-speaker Bower & Wilkins sound system and a rear-seat entertainment system. The rear-seat entertainment system is among the best that we have tested, with two large video screens and a removable touch-screen tablet controller that can be used to operate the infotainment interface as well as the vehicle’s sunshades and ambient lighting.
The base 740i comes standard with adaptive headlamps, parking sensors, a rearview camera and the BMW Assist emergency communications system. BMW Assist pretensions seatbelts, closes the windows and moonroof and provides automatic collision notification, roadside assistance and emergency assistance. In addition, BMW Assist facilitates remote door unlock and stolen vehicle tracking, and it monitors the driver’s behavior and sends a visual and audible alert if it determines that you’re driving erratically.
Available driver-assistance features include a surround-view camera, a night vision camera system, lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, blind spot detection and adaptive cruise control.
The 2017 BMW 7-series has not been tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
The 2017 BMW 740i starts at $81,500, plus a $995 destination charge. The 740e iPerformance and 750i models start at $89,100 and $94,600, respectively.
M760i sedans like our test car have a starting price of $153,800. Our sedan included options like a Luxury Rear Seating package, and it carried a suggested price of $171,895 after a $1,700 gas guzzler tax and destination.
BMW’s 7 Series is an upmarket sedan priced to compete with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Audi A8. Other direct competitors include the Genesis G90. While it’s not the least expensive option, the base 7 Series offers good value for the segment and undercuts the S-Class sedan significantly.
In a segment with superb choices, the 2017 BMW 7 Series sets itself apart as a driving enthusiast’s favorite. Its attractive design is modern, but pays homage to the great full-size BMW sedans of the past. Though it’s not inexpensive, the 2017 7 Series represents good value in the segment when you consider its long list of standard features, great fuel economy, outstanding power and thrilling performance.
Specs & Features
- Imperial Blue Metallic
- Singapore Gray Metallic
- Glacier Silver Metallic
- Alpine White
- Ruby Black Metallic
- Dark Graphite Metallic
- Mineral White Metallic
- Cashmere Silver Metallic
- Carbon Black Metallic
- Jatoba Brown Metallic
- Arctic Gray Metallic
- Jet Black
- Moonstone Metallic
- Magellan Gray Metallic
- Azurite Black Metallic
- Black Sapphire Metallic
- Almandine Brown Metallic
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Lip
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: 245/50r18
- Width Without Mirrors: 74.9 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 Inches
- Width: 85.4 Inches
- Length: 206.6 Inches
- Height: 58.2 Inches
- Wheelbase: 126.4 Inches
- Rear Track Width: 64.6 Inches
- Curb Weight: 4361 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 63.4 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Storage
- Air Filtration: Active Charcoal
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Alloy
- Dash Trim: Leather/Wood
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Trim: Leather/Wood
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Center Console Trim: Leather/Wood
- Interior Accents: Leather/Wood-tone
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Cargo Area Floor Mat
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Watts: 600
- Surround Sound: 5.1
- Total Speakers: 16
- Hard Drive: 20GB
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Subwoofer: 2
- Premium Brand: Harman/kardon
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Navigation System: Hard Drive/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Phone: Hands Free
- Real Time Traffic
- Satellite Communications: BMW Assist
- Wifi: Hotspot
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Passenger Volume: 114 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 5
- Front Shoulder Room: 59.2 Inches
- Rear Legroom: 44.4 Inches
- Front Legroom: 41.4 Inches
- Front Headroom: 39.9 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 38.9 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 14.8 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 57.7 Inches
- Driver Seat: Heated
- 4-way Power Lumbar-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Bucket Front Seats
- Passenger Seat: Heated
- 4-way Power Lumbar-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Rear Seat
- Upholstery: Premium Leather
- 4WD Type: Full Time
- Axle Ratio: 3.08
- Center Differential: Mechanical
- Drive Mode Selector
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Double Ball Joint
- Self Leveling Suspension
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Pneumatic
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Air Suspension
- Rear Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Front Spring Type: Pneumatic
- Active Suspension
- Suspension Control: Electronic
- Front Struts
- Driver Adjustable Suspension: Ride Control
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 3.0
- Horsepower: 320
- Torque: 330
- Transmission Type: 8-speed Shiftable Automatic W/sport Transmission
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Acceleration (0-60MPH): 5.1
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.28
- Turning Circle: 42.4
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 19
- Highway (MPG): 28
- Combined (MPG): 22
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 144 Months
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Crumple Zones: Front
- Camera System: Rearview
- Impact Absorbing Bumpers
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Active Head Restraints: Dual Front
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Parking Sensors: Front/rear
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Impact Sensor: Alert System/battery Disconnect/door Unlock/fuel Cut-off/post-collision Safety System
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Emergency Interior Trunk Release
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard