2016 Lexus LX Review
2016 Lexus LX Review
- Original MSRP$88,880
- Fuel Economy (MPG)13/18 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
(Last Updated 12/18/2017)
The 2016 Lexus LX 570 is a full-size, four-wheel drive SUV showcasing a rich blend of luxury and off-road capabilities. This stout model is closely related to the Toyota Land Cruiser and gets several updates for 2016.
The Lexus LX series was introduced in 1996 and has gone through multiple generational updates since. The current LX 570 offers seating for eight and a standard 5.7-liter V8 engine.
Several changes have been incorporated for 2016. An eight-speed automatic transmission, replaces the previous six-speed found in the 2015 model. The cabin and cargo area are slightly roomier than before, and other changes bring in LED headlamps and turn signals, as well as a new color display, ventilated second-row seats and an updated digital multi-information display in the instrument panel.
In recent years, Lexus has refreshed its styling to provide a more evocative expression. Some would describe the look as provocative, given the LX 570’s oversized and dominant spindle grille, deep body sculpting and abundant character lines.
The 2016 LX 570 advances that theme but manages to retain its traditional SUV look. The spindle grille dominates the front fascia with wraparound headlamp assemblies pressing in on the upper portions of the grille. These headlights include three jewel-like displays as well as the brand’s now-familiar swooshing LED accent lights. The lower portion of the grille is offset by distinct pockets housing the LED fog lamps. Deep sculpting is found on top of the grille, across the hood and onto the edge of the windshield.
Lexus’ designers chose a more subdued, but no less elegant, profile, which features a straight roofline and an even beltline. Lower door and rocker panel sculpting imparts flair, and all models come with fixed side steps. Chrome embellishments surround the front grille and are found on the door handles, around the windows and on the wheels.
The rear fascia is marked by a sculpted liftgate that’s enhanced with a spoiler. The key fob opens the top portion of the liftgate for access to the storage area. The lower portion is managed by an interior handle and drops down separately.
You would expect nothing less than a comfortable interior covered in high-end materials in every Lexus model, and the LX 570 certainly does not disappoint. Soft-touch materials are found in all the places you’d expect to find them, and in a few places you wouldn’t. This underscores the care exercised by the Lexus design team in crafting this SUV’s cabin.
Double-stitched leather is generously laid out across the upper and lower dashboard. You’ll also find leather on door inlays and armrests, and it swathes all seating surfaces. The steering wheel, center console and transmission shifter include leather touches, and wood is used freely all throughout the cabin.
Seating is for seven with plush and supportive front seats, a split-folding bench seat in the second row and a bench seat in the third row. With the help of power-assist switches found in the rear cargo area, the third-row seat may be folded against the sides of the cabin. Cargo capacity behind the third row stands at 9.1 cubic feet. This opens up to 24.8 cubic feet with the second row folded, and you’ll enjoy 45 cubic feet with the second and third rows down.
Press the start button and the electronically controlled steering column and driver seat shift into place. The instrument panel is dominated by a pair of circular displays for the tachometer and speedometer, along with smaller displays for the oil pressure and temperature. Important driver information is found in the digital panel situated between the two main displays and is controlled by switches located on the face of the steering column.
The center console includes an analog clock, and there is an available wireless charging tray for select mobile phones. USB and auxiliary ports are also present, as is a 12-volt outlet.
Our test model included the available rear seat entertainment system, which features a pair of 11.6-inch dual screens and two pairs of wireless headphones. A cool box is available, and it’s located inside the front storage compartment. As tested, the box quickly chilled water bottles to our satisfaction.
The LX 570 provides ample room for all passengers in the first and second row. However, third-row access is tight, and accommodations back there are cramped.
Lexus offers one powertrain with the 2016 LX 570: a 5.7-liter V8 engine making 383 horsepower and 403 pound-feet of torque. This engine is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
The LX 570 moves forward with authority despite its 3-ton weight. Lexus claims this model goes from zero to 60 mph in 7.3 seconds.
The engine showed no signs of strain as it was pushed to its limits. The only downside is that fuel economy is abysmal: This SUV has an EPA rating of 13/18 mpg, city/highway. The fact that premium fuel is required makes things even more expensive.
Drive Mode Select is a new feature for 2016. It permits drivers to customize the LX 570’s powertrain and suspension responses. Choose between Eco, Comfort, Sport S and Sport S+ modes.
Off road, the LX 570 takes on the toughest terrain with its standard Multi-Terrain Select system, which provides five off-road settings for different types of terrain. The roughest topography is eased by this model’s electronically controlled suspension, and the setup features damping control and adaptive ride height.
When it comes to its technology, the LX 570 hits many high notes. Centered on the dashboard immediately above the console is a 12.3-inch color display, which is part of the Lexus Enform infotainment system. It is one of the largest infotainment displays you’ll find in the industry. All audio, phone and navigation setting are controlled by voice, switches or the mouselike Remote Touch controller. The voice system works as touted, typically requiring three commands to reach your song by means of your Bluetooth-enabled device.
The LX 570 comes with a premium audio system composed of nine speakers, HD radio and satellite radio. A navigation system is also included. Available features include a heads-up display and a Mark Levinson audio package.
Lexus Enform Remote is offered as a complimentary one-year subscription. It’s accessible through a smartphone app that can provide vehicle health information, remote door lock and unlock and other alerts. It can also be used to start the LX 570 remotely and adjust climate settings.
This vehicle also offers a Qi-compatible wireless charging tray designed for certain kinds of mobile phones.
The Lexus LX 570 hasn’t been crash tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). However, that lack of testing isn’t unusual for a large luxury SUV.
All 2016 LX 570 models offer a long list of standard safety equipment, including antilock brakes, traction and stability control and a suite of air bags, including driver and front passenger knee air bags. The Lexus Safety System+ is also standard, and includes a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control, lane departure alert and automatic high beams. Blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert is also standard.
The 2016 LX 570 can be had in one trim, but packages are available to add amenities such as a rear-seat entertainment system. The stand-alone options include a 19-speaker Mark Levinson surround-sound audio system ($2,350) and a color heads-up display ($900).
The LX 570 starts at just under $90,000. This is a steeper price tag than you’ll find in rival models, but keep in mind that it comes with a very generous assortment of standard features. Other models in this segment include the 2016 Cadillac Escalade, Land Rover Range Rover and Infiniti QX80. For a less opulent, more mainstream take on this model, consider the Toyota Land Cruiser.
The full-size luxury SUV class provides trappings you’ll enjoy. This is not a segment for frugal shoppers. The LX 570 is all about projecting wealth, providing luxury and delivering tantalizing off-road capabilities.
Like most other large luxury SUVs, the LX 570 will spend most of its time around town, visiting country clubs and parked on display in the driveways of elegant homes. Its versatility is a nice bonus, and this stylish hauler easily fills the role of a stout all-terrain beast if these services are required.
Specs & Features
- Satin Cashmere Metallic
- Nebula Gray Pearl
- Atomic Silver
- Nightfall Mica
- Starfire Pearl
- Black Onyx
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 20.0 X 8.5 Inches
- Tire Type: 285/50r20
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Roofline
- Exhaust Tip Color: Stainless-steel
- Running Board Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Mudguards: Front/Rear
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Bumper Detail: Rear Protector
- Running Boards: Illuminated/Step
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Headlight Bezel Color: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Chrome
- Width Without Mirrors: 78 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 8.9 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 25 Degrees
- Width: 78 Inches
- Length: 199.4 Inches
- Height: 73.4 Inches
- Wheelbase: 112.2 Inches
- Break-over Angle: 23.0 Degrees
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 7385 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 64.6 Inches
- Curb Weight: 6000 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 20 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 64.8 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Storage/Rear Center With Cupholders
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Leather
- Dash Trim: Leather/Wood
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Trim: Leather/Wood
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather/Wood
- Center Console Trim: Leather/Wood
- Interior Accents: Chrome/Leather/Woodgrain
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control/Independently Controlled
- Door Sill Trim: Illuminated Scuff Plate
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated/With Read Function
- Navigation App: Traffic Data
- Navigation System: Memory Card/Voice Operated
- Phone: Hands Free
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: DVD Audio/MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Digital Sound Processing
- Total Speakers: 9
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Voice Operated
- Internet Radio App: Pandora/Slacker/IHeartRadio
- Infotainment: Enform
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Leather-trimmed
- Rear Seat: Sliding
- Third Row Seat Folding: Power
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- 12-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Rear Seat Power Adjustments
- 14-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 40-20-40 Split Rear Seat
- Third Row Seat Type: 50-50 Split Bench
- Passenger Volume: 158.9 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 8
- Front Hip Room: 58.2 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 61.3 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 58.1 Inches
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 41 Cubic Feet
- Interior Volume: 174.4 Cubic Feet
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 56.6
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 28.3
- Rear Legroom: 36 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 83.1 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 42.3 Inches
- Front Headroom: 38.3 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 38.9 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 35.8
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 62.3
- Standard Seating: 8
- Seating Rows: 3
- Cargo Volume: 15.5 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 61.6 Inches
- 4WD Type: Full Time
- Axle Ratio: 3.31
- Center Differential: Mechanical
- Drive Mode Selector
- Limited Slip Differential: Center
- Locking Differential: Center
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 7000 Pounds
- Transmission Type: 8-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 8
- Engine Type: 8 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 5.7
- Horsepower: 383
- Torque: 403
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Double Wishbone
- Self Leveling Suspension
- Rear Suspension Classification: Solid Live Axle
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Active Suspension
- Suspension Control: Electronic
- Front Struts
- Driver Adjustable Suspension: Height/Ride Control
- Acceleration (0-60MPH): 7.3
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.35
- Turning Circle: 38.7
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 13
- Highway (MPG): 18
- Combined (MPG): 15
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 72 Months/70,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 72 Months