2015 INFINITI QX80 Review
2015 INFINITI QX80 Review
- Original MSRP$63,250 - $66,350
- Fuel Economy14/20 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
(Last Updated 12/12/2017)
Sitting at the top of the Infiniti range, the 2015 QX80 serves as the automaker’s full-size luxury SUV offering. It offers no-compromise performance, capability and luxury in a big package.
For 2015, the Infiniti QX80 gains updated exterior styling and new driver assistance features. This large luxury SUV features a V8 engine, an automatic transmission and the choice of rear- or four-wheel drive. Standard models seat up to eight, while the new Limited package adds more luxury with seating for seven.
The 2015 Infiniti QX80 greets you with a huge mesh grille, flanked by two headlamp clusters with LED daytime lighting and turn signal lenses. The grille is part of mid-cycle refresh changes that are subtle to the eye. The front fenders appear to be lower, almost like a long haul truck. Curves dictate the rest of the design, including a tall roof section.
The liftgate opens tall enough to load everything inside of its huge cabin. Front occupants have a 22.4-inch step-up height to manage with a set of side foot rails to help in climbing up into the QX80.
Twenty-inch wheels are standard on the QX80, while 22-inch aluminum wheels are available on the new top-of-the line Limited model.
The 2015 QX80’s interior volume is 152.5 cubic feet, which is a large space to fill. Infiniti fills it with yards of leather, wood trim, carpeting and satin-finished controls. The QX80 offers comprehensive instrumentation, including oil and battery gauges.
An 8-inch touch screen anchors the center stack, with controls for audio, navigation and climate systems. Wood trim frames a sweeping curve that stretches from door to door on either side of the center stack, while covering almost every part of the center console.
Selecting the new-for-2015 Limited model adds more luxury on top of the standard QX80. The wood trim is matted, while offering a single color hide – Truffle Brown – to go with a choice of three exterior colors. There is extra stitching on the seats, along with a center console in-between the second row.
There is room for up to eight adults in the QX80, spread across all three rows. Cargo space is generous with up to 95.1 cubic feet of room with the second and third rows down. There is an available power-folding third row.
A 400-horsepower, 5.6-liter V8 comes standard with the 2015 Infiniti QX80. A seven-speed automatic transmission is standard and paired with rear- or four-wheel drive. The latter has a two-speed transfer case with an automatic feature for selecting two- or four-wheel drive when needed. The EPA rates the QX80 at 14 mpg in the city and 20 mpg on the highway.
As big as the QX80 is, its power matches its size. Our test vehicle had no problems going through the gears and providing smooth power delivery on the highway.
The QX80 has a quiet ride with nominal noise coming through the cabin. Ride quality is superb with a smooth ride that handles the bumps extremely well. There is some lean and roll through the corners, but not enough for passengers to notice. A big wheel manages a steering system that is numb and soft. Turning action varies, from wide to almost sharp when the wheel is locked. The brakes are also fair, with fairly long stops observed from all speeds and situations.
The QX80 offers Infiniti Connection, a complete telematics suite that offers the addition of personal time management. Services under the Infiniti Connection include automatic collision notification, roadside assistance, emergency call functionality, stolen vehicle reporting, notifications for the alarm system and scheduled maintenance alerts. Infiniti Connection also has a web interface that syncs Google Calendar with the vehicle’s infotainment system. There are additional functions available when upgrading to Infiniti Connection Plus, such as destination assistance, a maximum speed alert and a valet alert. Some of these services are also available through the Infiniti Personal Assistant.
The Bose Cabin Surround 15-speaker system emits sound throughout from an array of sources. Bluetooth connectivity is available for all smartphones and will allow streaming audio. A USB port is also available for playback of music files from a smartphone. SiriusXM also offers traffic and weather updates onboard the QX80.
Neither the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) nor the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has crash tested the QX80.
The QX80 has a lot of passive and active safety features available. These features include blind spot warning and intervention, backup collision intervention, forward collision warning, lane departure warning and lane keeping assist. Infiniti’s Around View Monitor with moving object detection is also included for better driver awareness when parking the QX80.
The QX80 starts with a base price for the rear-drive model of $63,250. Our model with the Limited package came with a sticker price of $89,845. The base QX80 is priced lower than much of its competition.
The QX80 is up against some formidable rivals in its class of large luxury SUVs. These include the 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Lexus LX 570, Lincoln Navigator, Mercedes-Benz G-Class and Land Rover Range Rover.
Luxury SUVs are a niche segment with a strong following. Their buyers usually have families that already enjoy a high level of comfort in their lifestyle with the perks that have earned through solid work. The Infiniti QX80 is available for those looking for a distinctive large SUV offering high style, luxury appointments and a vast array of technology.
Specs & Features
- Liquid Platinum
- Graphite Shadow
- Hermosa Blue
- Smoky Quartz
- Black Obsidian
- Dark Currant
- Majestic White
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 20.0 X 8.0 Inches
- Tire Type: P275/60r20
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler: Roofline
- Running Board Color: Body-color
- Rear Spoiler Color: Body-color
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Bumper Detail: Rear Protector
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Skid Plate(s)
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Chrome
- Ground Clearance: 9.2 Inches
- Width: 79.9 Inches
- Length: 208.9 Inches
- Height: 75.8 Inches
- Wheelbase: 121.1 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 7300 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 67.9 Inches
- Curb Weight: 5633 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 67.5 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Storage/Rear Center With Cupholders
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Leather
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Interior Accents: Leather/Wood-tone
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Sill Trim: Stainless Steel
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Navigation System: Hard Drive/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Real Time Traffic
- Satellite Communications: INFINITI Connection
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: DVD Audio/MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Total Speakers: 11
- Video System: Auxiliary Audio/video Input
- Hard Drive: 9.3GB
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Element
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Subwoofer: 2
- Premium Brand: Bose
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Leather-trimmed
- Third Row Seat Folding: Flat/Power
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Passenger Seat: Heated
- Flat-Folding Rear Seat
- Undefined Rear Seat
- 8-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Third Row Seat Type: 40-60 Split Bench
- Driver Seat: Heated
- Passenger Volume: 152.5 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 8
- Front Hip Room: 59.2 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 63.8 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 58.4 Inches
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 49.6 Cubic Feet
- Interior Volume: 167.9 Cubic Feet
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 48.8
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 28.8
- Rear Legroom: 41 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 95.1 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 39.6 Inches
- Front Headroom: 39.9 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 40 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 36.8
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 60.5
- Standard Seating: 7
- Seating Rows: 3
- Cargo Volume: 16.6 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 63.5 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 2.94
- Drive Mode Selector
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City: 14
- Highway: 20
- Combined: 16
- Engine Type: 8 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 5.6
- Horsepower: 400
- Torque: 413
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 8500 Pounds
- Transmission Type: 7-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 7
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.36
- Turning Circle: 41.6
- Rear Suspension Type: Double Wishbone
- Front Suspension Type: Double Wishbone
- Self Leveling Suspension
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Air Suspension: Rear
- Rear Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Bumper-to-Bumper: 48 Months/60000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 72 Months/70000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 84 Months/0 Miles