2015 Hyundai Azera Review
- Original MSRP$34,000 - $38,200
- Fuel Economy (MPG)20/29 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSedan
By Matt Keegan (Last Updated 12/12/2017)
Slotted between the midsize Sonata and the luxurious Genesis sedan, the 2015 Hyundai Azera is a premium, front-wheel drive sedan that seats five. It is offered in standard and Limited editions and is powered by a V6 engine.
First introduced in 2006, the second-generation Azera made its debut as a 2012 model. The 2015 Azera was recently refreshed and offers many of the same amenities found in much more expensive European sedans.
Take a Hyundai Sonata and stretch the wheelbase by 1.6 inches and you have the Hyundai Azera. The differences between the two are subtle, especially when comparing higher end Sonatas with the Azera.
The Azera offers a visage similar to all Hyundai sedans, a fluidic sculpture design marked by a wavy, horizontal grille, tear-dropped shaped front light assemblies and chrome accented front fog lights. Its body lines flow up and down to the rear deck, marked by soft shoulders, a tapered roof line, and a rising belt line. Oversized tail lamps and embedded exhaust finishers highlight the rear.
Hyundai equips the Azera with standard automatic projector beam headlights, daytime running lights, available front fog lights, alloy wheels, heated power-folding side mirrors, chrome embellishments and LED taillights. All Azera models are equipped with an automatic trunk opening system that detects your presence when the key fob is on your person. Approach the rear of the car, stop and the car beeps three times before unlocking and raising the trunk.
The 2015 Hyundai Azera offers room for five with excellent room up front for the driver and front passenger, and very good room to the rear for three. The cabin is bright, upscale and stylish, with the flowing exterior design applied to the interior.
All models come well equipped with a standard tilt and telescopic steering column, power front seats, a 14-speaker audio system, climate control and navigation. Power accessories, a telematics system, navigation, leather seating surfaces, heated and ventilated front seats and heated rear seats are standard.
All models come with generous amounts of storage, including a floating console with a concealed storage compartment, a deep storage compartment separating the front seats, four cup holders, four in-door storage compartments, USB and auxiliary input ports and a 12-volt outlet.
The Azera’s instrument panel is marked by a pair of brightly-lit analog tachometer and speedometer displays, positioned on either side of a digital driver’s information center. The center has controls on the face of the steering wheel in addition to cruise and secondary audio controls.
The driver’s seat is very comfortable, aided by a seat cushion extender provided across the model line. Controls for both front seats are located on the doors. An integrated memory system retains your seat location, side mirror settings and steering column position.
To the rear is a 60/40 split-folding bench seat with an oversized center arm rest. The Limited edition brings in manual rear window sunscreens and a power rear window sunscreen. Ambient lighting and a panoramic tilt-and-slide sunroof are also found with the Azera Limited.
No package upgrades are available as the Limited edition incorporates all extras for this model line.
Hyundai offers just one powertrain combination with the 2015 Azera. A 3.3-liter V6 engine making 293 horsepower, which is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. This vehicle is EPA-rated at 20/29 mpg city/highway.
Despite coming in with an engine that’s slightly smaller than those found in various Toyota, Nissan and Ford models, the Azera’s direct-injected V6 engine offers slightly more power and does so without forced induction.
This sedan moves quickly out of the gate with the transmission smoothly shifting through the gears as it reaches highway speed. Torque understeer — which is common to large, front-wheel drive models — is mitigated as Hyundai employs technologies that redistribute steering force to counter the problem.
Hyundai equips the Azera with its Blue Link telematics system. It provides connected care, automatically calling for help if you are in a collision. The system also provides emergency help at the touch of a button, connecting the driver to a live person around the clock.
Blue Link can be operated via a smartphone app and aid in stolen vehicle recovery. The system also allows parental control over teen driving and sends car care notices to the owner. Blue Link is offered as a one-year complimentary subscription.
In crash testing conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the 2015 Hyundai Azera received top grades in four crashworthiness categories: moderate overlap front, side, roof strength, and head restraints & seats.
Hyundai equips the Azera with nine air bags, including a driver’s knee air bag. This model comes with a standard blind spot detection system, a rearview camera, cross-traffic alert and lane change assist. Limited editions come equipped with a rear parking assistance system, automatic high beams, lane departure warning and forward collision warning.
Choose the Hyundai Azera Limited and this sedan costs $38,200 and offers amenities similar to the Lexus ES 350 and Buick LaCrosse, but at a slightly lower price point. However, a fully loaded Sonata offers better overall value with nearly the same amount of room.
The Hyundai Azera offers a lot of amenities for the money, but it is hard to make a case for this sedan when better Hyundai models are found just above and below it. A fully loaded Hyundai Azera Limited is priced slightly above the base Hyundai Genesis, a rear-wheel drive model that is more polished.
Competing models include the Nissan Maxima, Dodge Charger, Ford Taurus, Toyota Avalon and the Chevrolet Impala. Premium models that might also be considered include the Chrysler 300, Buick LaCrosse and the Lexus ES 350.
Specs & Features
- Starlight Silver
- Pewter Gray Metallic
- Diamond White Pearl
- Eclipse Black
- Venetian Red Pearl
- Moroccan Pearl
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 7.5 Inches
- Tire Type: P245/45r18
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Exhaust Tip Color: Chrome
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Body Side Moldings: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Body-color With Chrome Accents
- Ground Clearance: 5.4 Inches
- Width: 73.2 Inches
- Length: 193.3 Inches
- Height: 57.9 Inches
- Wheelbase: 112 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 4828 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 63.3 Inches
- Curb Weight: 3684 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 63.2 Inches
- Rear Vents: Second Row
- Armrests: Rear Center With Cupholders/Rear Folding
- Air Filtration
- Power Locks: Auto-locking
- Shift Knob Trim: Leather
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Door Trim: Leatherette
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Center Console Trim: Simulated Alloy
- Interior Accents: Carbon Fiber/Chrome
- Door Sill Trim: Illuminated Scuff Plate
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Driver Assistance App: Roadside Assistance
- Electronic Messaging Assistance: Voice Operated/With Read Function
- Navigation System: Touch Screen Display
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/MP3/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Watts: 550
- Surround Sound: 5.1
- Total Speakers: 14
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Diversity/Mast
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display
- Subwoofer: 1
- Premium Brand: Infinity
- Infotainment: Blue Link
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Leather
- Rear Seat: Heated
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Passenger Seat: Heated/Ventilated
- 12-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 8-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Driver Seat: Heated/Ventilated
- Passenger Volume: 107 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 5
- Front Hip Room: 54.6 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 58.3 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 54.2 Inches
- Interior Volume: 123.3 Cubic Feet
- Rear Legroom: 36.8 Inches
- Front Legroom: 45.5 Inches
- Front Headroom: 40.3 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 37.6 Inches
- Standard Seating: 5
- Seating Rows: 2
- Cargo Volume: 16.3 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 56.4 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 2.90
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 20
- Highway (MPG): 29
- Combined (MPG): 23
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 3.3
- Horsepower: 293
- Torque: 255
- Transmission Type: 6-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 6
- Aerodynamic Drag: 0.28
- Turning Circle: 36.5
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 24 mm
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 17 mm
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- New Car Basic Warranty: 60 Months/60,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 120 Months/100,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 84 Months
- Small Overlap Front - Driver SideN/A
- Small Overlap Front - Passenger SideN/A
- Moderate Overlap FrontG
- Side ImpactG
- Roof StrengthG
- Head Restraints and SeatsG
- Front Crash PreventionBasicwith optional equipment
- Child Safety Door Locks
- Electronic Stability Control: Standard
- Energy Absorbing Steering Column
- Rearview Monitor: in Dash
- Side Impact Airbags: Standard
- Blind Spot Safety: Sensor/alert
- Child Seat Anchors: LATCH System
- Impact Absorbing Seats: Dual Front
- Crumple Zones: Front/rear
- Camera System: Rearview
- Impact Absorbing Bumpers
- Hood Buckling Creases
- Body Side Reinforcements: Side Impact Door Beams
- Anti-lock Brakes Four Wheel: Standard
- Front Driver Airbags: Standard
- Daytime Running Lights: Standard
- Front Passenger Airbags: Standard
- Cross Traffic Alert: Rear
- Emergency Interior Trunk Release
- Brake Assist: Standard
- Side Curtain Airbags: Standard