2015 Chevrolet Tahoe Review
2015 Chevrolet Tahoe Review
- Original MSRP$40,815 - $63,335
- Fuel Economy (MPG)11/16 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
(Last Updated 12/6/2017)
The completely redesigned Chevrolet Tahoe has new looks, an upgraded interior and plenty of room for the family.
The redesigned 2015 Chevy Tahoe hits the mark with new exterior looks, a comfortable interior and plenty of great features.
Quite often when manufactures bring out the newest model, it is hard to distinguish it from previous generations. This is not the case with the new Chevy Tahoe. Gone are the roundish corners and flat body lines. Instead, it has sharp, cutting lines that bring a lot of definition to the large SUV.
The front grille and headlights have also been redesigned to provide a stronger look and the sides flow nicely to the rear. The front and second-row side windows feel like they are attached together while the third-row passenger window is on its own.
While this look is a bit different, GM designers have done a nice job of trimming the window to make it feel like part of the SUV.
The rear finishes the look with its recessed tailgate and overhead plastic trimming. It makes it seem like it is smaller than it is and more sleek.
While the exterior lets you know it is a different Chevy Tahoe, the interior reinforces this fact. Again, gone is the large amount of cheap plastic and boring styling. In are upgraded materials and a very stylish interior.
For the Tahoe fans, the big change this year is the integrated third-row seats. These seats fold flat and store in the vehicle rather than being removable. This is a love it/hate it proposition for many buyers. We found the only real problem is the loading height for putting items in the rear. There is a raised lip which can present a challenge when placing larger items in the rear.
The driver’s seat feels much more like a cockpit with the bucket seats and less like a pickup truck. Indeed, the controls, gauge panels and touch screen are all within easy reach for the driver. With a really comfortable seat and good visibility, it is easy to sit back and enjoy a multi-hour drive.
For the passengers, there is ample room to spread out as well as plenty of comfort. While the upscale Yukon and Escalade provide a bit more comfort, it is hard to go wrong with the Tahoe’s interior.
Chevy made the engine choice easy for the 2015 Tahoe. There is one engine to choose from, an EcoTec 5.3L V8 putting out 355 HP and 383 lb-ft of torque. It is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with either 2-wheel-drive or 4-wheel-drive models available.
Chevy offers the 4WD Tahoe with a two-speed transfer case with low-range gearing. A locking rear differential is standard on the LT and LTZ and optional for the LS.
Properly equipped, this “truck-like” SUV tows an impressive 8,600 lbs for 2WD and 8,400 lbs for 4WD. It is EPA rated to provide 16/23/18 city/highway/combined for 2WD models and 16/22/18 city/highway/combined for 4WD models.
While these numbers aren’t amazing, they are pretty good for such a large vehicle. Remember, the Chevy Tahoe is essentially an upscaled Silverado 1500 pickup.
Driving the Chevy Tahoe, it is obvious the vehicle is setup for long-distance driving. We mean the suspension and powertrain provide a smooth ride, yet they are certainly not as responsive when aggressively driving. It is meant for that long leisurely drive and you will need to adapt to its setup for city driving.
One of the key areas for Chevy was to improve the technology offerings including USB charging ports with a focus on families taking long-term trips. Once again, Chevy hits its mark.
With several USB ports placed throughout the vehicle, a 4.2-inch color display with navigation (optional), Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, a rear-seat entertainment system and up to a 10-speaker Bose sound system, it provides lots of technology for a family on the go.
For the driver, the safety technology features like lane-departure assist, front parking sensors, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, adaptive cruise control are all welcome additions. Not only do they make driving the Tahoe easier, they reduce the chances of careless driving through driver fatigue.
The 2015 Chevy Tahoe comes standard with antilock disc brakes, traction control, stability control (with trailer-sway control), front-seat side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags. Also standard is OnStar, which includes automatic crash notification, on-demand roadside assistance, remote door unlocking, stolen vehicle assistance and turn-by-turn navigation. Rear parking sensors and a rearview camera are standard on every Tahoe.
Depending on the trim levels and optional packages, it also comes with front parking sensors, forward collision alert, lane-departure warning, a vibrating safety-alert seat, rear cross-traffic alert and blind-spot monitoring.
During government crash testing, the 2015 Chevy Tahoe received a perfect five-star rating from the NHTSA.
It is hard to talk about cost-effectiveness with the Chevy Tahoe. While there are certainly other options for driving around a family of eight including more cost-effective and fuel efficient ones, you do lose the towing ability of those uni-body SUVs.
The truth is the Chevy Tahoe remains the best option for taking the family camping or taking the boat out to the lake. It is a poor option for simply going back and forth to soccer practice.
With its striking new looks, improved interior and performance, it is hard to go wrong with the Chevy Tahoe. It should comfortably tote around the family and all your gear for many years.
Specs & Features
- Silver Ice Metallic
- Champagne Silver Metallic
- Brownstone Metallic
- Sable Metallic
- Crystal Red Tintcoat
- Slate Gray Metallic
- Summit White
Available exterior features
- Door Handle Color: Body-color
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Running Board Color: Black
- Running Boards: Step
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 8.5 Inches
- Tire Type: P265/65r18
- Ground Clearance: 8.5 Inches
- Width: 80.5 Inches
- Length: 204 Inches
- Height: 74.4 Inches
- Wheelbase: 116 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 7100 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 68.7 Inches
- Curb Weight: 5308 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 68.7 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Armrests: Rear Center With Cupholders
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks: Anti-lockout
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control/Independently Controlled
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Satellite Communications: OnStar
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Radio Data System
- Headphone Jacks: Rear
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/Jack/Memory Card Slot
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Total Speakers: 6
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Element
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Premium Cloth
- Third Row Seat Folding: /Flat
- 10-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Split-Folding Rear Seat
- 6-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Third Row Seat Type: 40-60 Split Bench/Removable Bench
- Max Seating: 8
- Front Hip Room: 60.8 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 64.8 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 60.3 Inches
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 51.6 Cubic Feet
- Interior Volume: 120.8 Cubic Feet
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 49.3
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 24.8
- Rear Legroom: 39 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 94.7 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 45.3 Inches
- Front Headroom: 42.8 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 38.7 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 38.1
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 62.6
- Standard Seating: 8
- Seating Rows: 3
- Cargo Volume: 15.3 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 65.1 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 3.08
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 16
- Highway (MPG): 23
- Combined (MPG): 18
- Transmission Type: 6-speed Shiftable Automatic W/overdrive
- Type: A
- Gears: 6
- Engine Type: 8 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 5.3
- Horsepower: 355
- Torque: 383
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 8500 Pounds
- Turning Circle: 39
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Upper And Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Solid Live Axle
- Front Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 36 mm
- Front Shock Type: Twin-tube Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 28 mm
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts
- Transferable Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 60 Months/100,000 Miles
- Corrosion: Rust: 36 Months/36,000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 72 Months/100,000 Miles