2014 Honda Pilot Review
2014 Honda Pilot Review
- Original MSRP$29,670 - $41,420
- Fuel Economy (MPG)18/25 City/Hwy
- Body StylesSUV
(Last Updated 12/12/2017)
The larger brother of the hot-selling CR-V, the 2014 Honda Pilot has no changes for the 2014 model year.
The 2014 Honda Pilot has been a good offering for the company with lots of storage options and comfort. However, it is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.
The 2014 Honda Pilot is offered in four trim levels: LX, EX, EX-L and Touring.
On the outside, the Honda Pilot is simply boxy. The front, side and rear design is an exercise in squares. It has round corners and a slightly sloping hood. This boxy design does come with one big benefit. The Honda Pilot has lots of useful interior storage space. For SUVs, the reality is when you start curving it, you lose space somewhere and normally this is on the inside.
The 2014 Pilot seats eight and has some of the best leg- and headroom in its class. Plus, the third row is actually comfortable for adults.
The utility of this SUV is carried over into Honda’s selection of plastic interior materials. While there are two sides to this coin, those who hate plastic and those who appreciate its strength, the material seems to fit the Pilot well.
Honda gives all Pilots a 3.5-liter V6 that’s mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. This powertrain puts out 250 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive is standard with all-wheel drive optional. The all-wheel drive system shifts upwards of 70 percent of its power to the rear wheels when the front slides. Also, there is a driver-selectable “lock” feature for maximum torque.
EPA estimates for fuel economy are 17/24/20 city/highway/combined. The 2014 Honda Pilot can tow up to 4,500 lbs for all-wheel-drive models and 2,000 lbs for front-wheel drive.
Driving the Pilot, it is apparent you are driving a large SUV. The powertrain is setup for fuel economy and lacks any punch. It doesn’t handle corners as well as its competitors and takes more time to adjust too.
Honda gives the 2014 Pilot a small assortment of base technology features like an 8-inch center display screen, Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, a rearview camera and a seven-speaker sound system with a USB interface.
Available features include satellite radio, a voice-activated navigation system and a rear-seat entertainment system.
In government testing, the Pilot received an overall rating of four out of five stars. It received a five-star rating for side-impact crash tests and a four-star rating for frontal crash protection. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gave the Pilot a “Good” (highest) rating for its moderate-overlap frontal-offset, side-impact and roof strength tests.
The Honda Pilot remains a good choice from a cost effectiveness point of view. Consistently, Honda products like the Pilot have a good reputation for being reliable vehicles that seldom break down. This is a big deal for those not wanting to go broke doing vehicle maintenance and is a big selling point for the Pilot.
While the fuel economy could be better, it isn’t that bad for an eight-passenger vehicle. Plus, the interior space rivals many compact trucks and, in that respect, its cost effectiveness rises thanks to its usefulness.
For used Honda Pilot buyers, it should hold its value for many years to come with Honda’s reputation. The reality for the Honda Pilot is that while it falls short in other areas, cost-effectiveness is still the one area it shines.
Even though the 2014 Honda Pilot is decidedly being surpassed by rivals with more stylish designs and interior materials, the blockish styling still provides plenty of the all-important interior space. It is also a good bet for having few long-term problems and a higher resale value than comparable rivals. If you can live with the look, the Honda Pilot is a good option for toting around the family without worrying about beating up the interior.
Specs & Features
- Crystal Black Pearl
- Alabaster Silver Metallic
- Modern Steel Metallic
- Taffeta White
- Dark Cherry Pearl
- Obsidian Blue Pearl
- Dark Amber Metallic
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 17.0 X 6.5 Inches
- Tire Type: P235/65r17 108t
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Black
- Mudguards: Front/Rear
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Window Trim: Black
- Body Side Moldings: Black
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Black
- Ground Clearance: 8 Inches
- Angle Of Approach: 24.4 Degrees
- Width: 78.5 Inches
- Length: 191.4 Inches
- Height: 71 Inches
- Wheelbase: 109.2 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 5952 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 67.5 Inches
- Curb Weight: 4299 Pounds
- Angle Of Departure: 22.1 Degrees
- Front Track Width: 67.7 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Armrests: Rear Center Folding With Storage
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear
- Power Locks
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Material: Carpet
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Cloth
- Third Row Seat Folding: Flat
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- Manual Driver Seat Adjustments
- 60-40 Split Rear Seat
- Manual Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Flat-Folding Rear Seat
- Third Row Seat Type: 40-60 Split Bench/Split-folding
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/MP3/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Watts: 229
- Surround Sound
- Total Speakers: 7
- Hard Drive: 2GB
- Antenna Type: Element
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM
- Subwoofer: 1
- Phone: Pre-wired For Phone
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Passenger Volume: 153.7 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 8
- Front Hip Room: 58.6 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 61.5 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 56.9 Inches
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 47.7 Cubic Feet
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 48.4
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 32.1
- Rear Legroom: 38.5 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 87 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 41.4 Inches
- Front Headroom: 40 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 39.8 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 38.2
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 58.9
- Standard Seating: 8
- Seating Rows: 3
- Cargo Volume: 18 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 62.2 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 4.31
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City (MPG): 18
- Highway (MPG): 25
- Combined (MPG): 21
- Transmission Type: 5-speed Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 5
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 3.5
- Horsepower: 250
- Torque: 253
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 2000 Pounds
- Turning Circle: 37.9
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 23 mm
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar: Diameter 26 mm
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- Bumper-to-Bumper: 36 Months/36,000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 60 Months/60,000 Miles
- Corrosion: Rust: 60 Months