2013 Buick Enclave Review
2013 Buick Enclave Review
- Original MSRP$38,445 - $47,625
- Fuel Economy17/24 City/Hwy
- Body StylesCrossover
(Last Updated 12/20/2017)
The 2013 Enclave gets an interior upgrade and delivers a luxury model crossover SUV that is spacious, safe, and sleek. Buick is going directly after younger, upscale families with the Enclave and has found a winning formula that delivers style and function in one comfortable ride.
The 2013 Buick Enclave comes in six trim sizes which are grouped in three classes—Convenience, Leather, and Premium. Each is sold as either a Front-wheel Drive Sport Utility or an All-wheel Drive Sport Utility. The features for each class are the same for both the front-wheel and all-wheel drive. All models are equipped with a 3.6 Liter V-6 engine.
The Enclave has a stylish, aerodynamic look that gives it a road-hugging presence. The car flows from the rounded headlights and classic waterfall grille back toward the rear hatch in one easy stroke. The easy look reflects Buick’s effort to build a luxury car that appeals to a younger demographic.
Adding to the Enclaves style in 2013 are the tail lights. Prior to 2013, they had a more traditional look with red hot spots that stood in stark contrast to the cars overall sleek design.
These tail lights glow red uniformly across the back of the car, adding a polished feel to the car’s sporty, rounded feel.
Aimed at the luxury car market with an eye toward families that require a sport utility vehicle, the Enclave exterior design hits both with style. Not much to quibble with here.
Whether one sits in the driver’s seat or rides along, the Enclave’s interior is easy on the eyes and convenient. Re-designed for 2013, the architects made many smart decisions.
For the driver, the leather and wood steering wheel provides a clear sight-line for instrumentation. The bold and colorful speedometer and tachometer sit atop water temperature, fuel level, and ammeter gauges in a stacked style that is inviting. And at your fingertips are steering wheel controls for cruise control and stereo equipment
For the front-seat passenger, the center stack is cleanly arranged and intuitive. Temperature and entertainment options are easily identifiable and easily manipulated. And for those in the back of the car, separate temperature controls ensure everyone is comfortable. A second jack-driven audio channel allows those in the rear to tap into their own entertainment options.
Anchoring the interior is a center console that includes a wood-handled gear shift, leather accents, and two cup holders for the front.
Some note that the 2013 still requires the use of a key to start the ignition—this is a personal preference that doesn’t detract from the overall experience.
Every Buick Enclave is equipped with a 3.6L V-6 engine that delivers 288 HP and 270 pound-feet or torque. In a car that comes in at nearly 5,000 pounds, the power is not misplaced, delivering acceleration when needed and the strength to tow up to 4,500 pounds. With a car of this weight and engine style, some have expressed concerned that MPG of 17 city and 24 highway are a bit low.
What surprises is the car actually drives smaller than its size would suggest. The antilock brakes and stability control render the brake pedal responsive to the touch and keep the car smooth in sharp turns.
And if the need to avoid an accident emerges, the car will handle it while keeping the driver firmly in place.
Those not accustomed to a larger car will find initially that the size and power take some getting used to. For those who have experience with luxury cars, the Enclave will deliver a smooth and delightful ride.
While the 2013 Enclave does not offer a high-end interactive experience, there is more than adequate technology for the average individual.
IntelliLink will be most attractive to many buyers. It enables Bluetooth, hands-free calling and also allows for audio streaming. The system’s interface is fairly intuitive and can be learned with a fair level of ease. Voice recognition, HD radio, and satellite radio deliver quality sound for all. Add in apps for Pandora and Stitcher audio and passengers will find a range of entertainment sure to please.
For the driver, the center stack holds a large LCD screen that also serves as a backup camera and cross-traffic alert system.
The Buick Enclave rates very high in safety. It carries many features that one would expect of a car in this class: front, side, and overhead airbags; side blind-zone alert system; rear cross-traffic alert system; anti-lock brakes; and stability control.
In government crash testing, the Enclave received a perfect five stars for overall, frontal and side crash protection. And it received four stars for rollover. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the Enclave its top ‘Good’ rating and was name at Top Safety Pick for 2013.
As a new car, the Enclave sold for between $38,400 and $47,600 depending upon model. While some felt that the price was too high for an American-made car, it seems to be holding its value well.
Considering the good range of standard options on the Enclave, this car delivers considerable value. The only mitigating factor may be gas mileage, which runs on the low side relative to comparable models.
The 2013 Enclave is an improved car from earlier versions, especially in the interior which was significantly improved. A crossover SUV that delivers a clean, sleek look and handles seven adult passengers with ease, this car is one that luxury-minded consumers will enjoy. The fuel economy is a bit disappointing, but add in the car’s high safety ratings, powerful engine, and smooth handling, and you have a Buick that does not disappoint.
Specs & Features
- Iridium Metallic
- White Opal
- Quicksilver Metallic
- White Diamond Tricoat
- Carbon Black Metallic
- Crystal Red Tintcoat
- Cyber Gray Metallic
- Atlantis Blue Metallic
Available exterior features
- Rear Bumper Color: Body-color
- Mirror Color: Body-color
- Exhaust Tip Color: Stainless-steel
- Exhaust: Dual Tip
- Grille Color: Chrome
- Window Trim: Chrome
- Headlight Bezel Color: Chrome
- Front Bumper Color: Body-color
- Door Handle Color: Chrome
Wheel and tire type
- Wheel Diameter: 18.0 X 7.5 Inches
- Tire Type: P255/65r18
- Width Without Mirrors: 79 Inches
- Ground Clearance: 7.6 Inches
- Width: 86.7 Inches
- Length: 201.9 Inches
- Height: 71.7 Inches
- Wheelbase: 118.9 Inches
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 6411 Pounds
- Rear Track Width: 67.1 Inches
- Curb Weight: 4724 Pounds
- Front Track Width: 67.3 Inches
- Rear Air Conditioning Zones: Single
- Air Filtration
- Floor Mats: Front/Rear/Third Row
- Power Locks: Anti-lockout
- Shift Knob Trim: Leather/Wood
- Front Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Steering Wheel Trim: Leather/Wood
- Center Console Trim: Wood
- Interior Accents: Wood
- Rear Air Conditioning: Automatic Climate Control
- Front Air Conditioning Zones: Dual
- Floor Mat Material: Carpet
- Phone: Voice Operated
- Phone Antenna
- Satellite Communications: OnStar
- Wireless Data Link: Bluetooth
- Radio Data System
- Auxiliary Audio Input: Bluetooth/USB/IPod/iPhone/Jack
- In-Dash CD: MP3 Playback/Single Disc
- Total Speakers: 6
- Satellite Radio: SiriusXM
- Antenna Type: Mast
- Speed Sensitive Volume Control
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Radio/Touch Screen Display/Voice Operated
- Infotainment: IntelliLink
- Bucket Front Seats
- Upholstery: Cloth
- Rear Seat: Sliding
- 8-Way Power Driver Seat Adjustments
- Third Row Seat Folding: Flat
- Adjustable Rear Seats
- Manual Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Flat-Folding Rear Seat
- Undefined Rear Seat
- Third Row Seat Type: 40-60 Split Bench
- 2-Way Power Passenger Seat Adjustments
- Passenger Volume: 151 Cubic Feet
- Max Seating: 7
- Front Hip Room: 57.2 Inches
- Front Shoulder Room: 61.6 Inches
- Rear Hip Room: 57 Inches
- Cargo Volume Third Row Down Only: 68.9 Cubic Feet
- Hip Room 3rd Row: 48.3
- Leg Room 3rd Row: 33.2
- Rear Legroom: 36.8 Inches
- Cargo Volume All Rear Seats Down: 115 Cubic Feet
- Front Legroom: 41.3 Inches
- Front Headroom: 40.4 Inches
- Rear Headroom: 39.4 Inches
- Head Room 3rd Row: 37.8
- Shoulder Room 3rd Row: 57.4
- Standard Seating: 7
- Seating Rows: 3
- Cargo Volume: 23.3 Cubic Feet
- Rear Shoulder Room: 61.3 Inches
- Axle Ratio: 3.16
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- City: 17
- Highway: 24
- Combined: 19
- Transmission Type: 6-speed Shiftable Automatic
- Type: A
- Gears: 6
- Engine Type: 6 Cylinders
- Displacement(liters): 3.6
- Horsepower: 288
- Torque: 270
- Maximum Towing Capacity: 4500 Pounds
- Turning Circle: 40.4
- Rear Suspension Type: Multi-link
- Front Suspension Type: Lower Control Arms
- Rear Suspension Classification: Independent
- Front Stabilizer Bar
- Front Shock Type: Gas
- Rear Spring Type: Coil
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Front Suspension Classification: Independent
- Rear Shock Type: Gas
- Front Spring Type: Coil
- Front Struts: MacPherson
- New Car Basic Warranty: 48 Months/50000 Miles
- Powertrain: Drivetrain/Powertrain: 72 Months/70000 Miles
- Corrosion Perforation: Rust: 72 Months/100000 Miles