Find The Right Car
With The Right History

Subaru Legacy

With five trim levels available there is a Legacy to meet the personalities of all. It is durable enough to drive through snowy terrains while offering the elegance to sport all around town. Couples, families, travelers and more will appreciate the sleek style of the Legacy in addition to its roomy interior and awesome standard features. When shopping for a used Subaru Legacy you should always take the knowledge of detailed vehicle history reports available from CARFAX on the exact Legacy that you want to purchase.

Read More Below »

Used Subaru Legacy: In Depth


1998 Subaru Legacy
You really can't go wrong with any Subaru with the 2.2L engine. I have over 300,000 miles on this one and over 350,000 on a 1993 Legacy. The sad part is that my maintenance routine has been spotty or these cars would have probably been good for a few hundred thousand more.


Since 1989 Subaru has been producing the Legacy, and throughout those years it has remained a trusted car that drivers have come to depend on to provide them a safe, comfortable ride at a price more accommodating to the budget of all. 

The new 2014 Legacy comes in five trims: 2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Sport, 2.5i Limited, and the 3.6R Limited. The 2014 Legacy offers plenty of exciting standard features including heated seats, heated mirrors, dual-zone automatic climate control, 16-inch wheels, and tons more.

Manual transmission comes standard in the 2014 Legacy, but an optional upgrade to the automatic is available. There are also numerous other optional upgrades you can add to your Legacy driving experience, including Sirius satellite radio, rear seat entertainment system, body side molding, and a fog light upgrade. Of course a navigation system is also an available option that comes with the new Legacy models.

Drivers who choose to purchase a Legacy are given the convenience of an SUV in a smaller, more compatible midsize sedan that is great for driving in all weather conditions. The Legacy offers roomy interior so all passengers are comfortable and content for short and long drives alike. The vehicle offers amazing handling and powerful performance in addition. This is pretty spectacular considering its small engine size.

Seating for five is available in the Legacy. To truly personalize their vehicle, drivers are given their choice of seven exterior colors, including: Venetian Red Pearl, Ice Silver Metallic, and Caramel Bronze Pearl. For the interior Ivory Striated Cloth and Black Striated Cloth are available, depending upon the chosen exterior color.

The 2014 Legacy is rated #16 in Affordable Midsize Cars by US News, and also earned a 7.8 out of 10 on the scorecard. This scorecard compared features such as safety, design and performance to earn this score.

If you’re in search of a new or used Subaru Legacy, start your search with the 2009 model. Not only is this year affordably priced, it features the new re-designed style and advanced features like an improved sound system.


Standard safety features are plentiful on the current model of the Legacy. You will feel content riding or driving the vehicle with safety features like Vehicle Dynamics Control, driver and passenger airbags, traction control, and stability control.

Safety testing performed from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety indicates the car is safe to drive. It was given a grade of ‘good’ during these safety tests for features such as side impact, roof strength, and head restraints and seats.


  • IIHS gave the Legacy honors for "Top Safety Pick" for the 2014 model. It was also one of the highest rated vehicles during safety testing.
  • EyeSight® is a great optional feature offered on all of the new 2014 Legacy models. This feature ensures your ride is safe with rearview cameras and more.

Vehicle Overview

Number of Owners Subaru Legacy

Carfax Facts

Compared to all other cars for sale, the Legacy is above average when it comes to having 1-owner cars from which to choose at 39.7 percent. At 34.6 percent for 2-owner cars, this puts it at a combined total of 74.3 percent for 1-2 owners.

Number of Service Records Subaru Legacy

Carfax Chart

The Subaru Legacy has an average of 7.6 service records, such as oil changes or transmission fluid changes. 55 percent have had more than five service records, making this a well maintained vehicle

2015 Legacy Specifications

  • From $21,695
  • 2.5L 4-cylinder (2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Sport, 2.5i Limited)

    3.6L 6-cylinder (3.6R Limited)

  • 26 city / 36 hwy mpg (2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Sport, 2.5i Limited)

    20 city / 29 hwy mpg (3.6R Limited)

  • All-wheel drive
  • 6-speed manual (2.5i)

    Lineartronic® CVT (2.5i Premium, 2.5i Sport, 2.5i Limited)

    5-speed adaptive electronic (3.6R Limited)

  • 175 hp @ 5600 rpm (2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Sport, 2.5i Limited)

    256 hp @ 6000 rpm (3.6R Limited)

  • 108.3 inches