From the debut up until the more recent models of the Lexus IS, there have been numerous changes made to the performance, design, and features. The first generation of the IS featured engineering work by Nobuaki Katayama, a former racing driver and the chief engineer of the first generation Lexus IS.
In 2005 at the Geneva Motor Show, the second generation of the Lexus IS debuted as a pre-production model. This generation offered a 2-door convertible and a 4-door sedan. This generation focused on adding more luxury features than the last, including optional leather memory seats, and a choice of faux metallic or Birdseye maple wood trim. The 2008 to 2010 models featured improved stability and minor interior revisions. The 2014 models feature a redesigned, upscale cabin, improved handling, and more engine power. Lexus engineered an optimized driving position for the IS Sport. The sport seat, pedals, steering wheel and wipers are angled for a dynamic driving experience without sacrificing comfort or visibility.
2014 LEXUS IS SAFETY RATINGS
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the 2014 Lexus IS "G" for Good for both the Moderate Overlap Front category as well as the Side Crashworthiness category. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave the 2014 Lexus IS five out of five stars for Overall Rating, Rollover, and Side Crash. It received four out of five stars for Frontal Crash. Some of the standard safety features included in the 2014 models include:
- Driver and passenger air bag
- 4-wheel disc brakes
- Child safety lock
- Brake assist
- Blind spot monitor
- Lane departure warning
- Daytime running lights
- Electronic stability control
- Traction control
- Side air bag
- Auto leveling headlights
NOTEWORTHY ABOUT THE 2014 LEXUS IS
- Advanced voice command that allows users to make and receive phone calls, operate the climate controls, use the navigation and audio features using normal every day speech.
- Some of the interior features include a center console controller, eight speaker Lexus Premium Sound System with a CD player and digital signal processing with an automatic sound levelizer.
- Drive mode with Normal, ECO, and Sports S modes, which allows drivers make the vehicle more responsive with just a turn of a switch.
- For optimum comfort, the 2014 models feature a 10-way power adjustable driver's seat with lumbar support, and an eight-way power adjustable front passenger seat. The front seats are heated and ventilated.
- The 60/40 folding rear seats offers extra cargo room.
- The interior trim that comes standard in the vehicles includes Perforated NuLuxe and a leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob, it is also available with a matte black interior trim.
- Other interior features include tilt and telescopic control column, sliding armrest, storage bin, USB inputs, accessory power outlets, and auto-dimming inside mirrors with a compass.
To find a vehicle with high-tech features, it helps to begin searching carfax.com for models of the Lexus IS beginning in 2011. For more advanced features, search for 2013 and 2014 models.