Over the years, since its debut in 1993 , the Lexus has seen four major model updates. You can tell the generation by the designation of S140, S160, S190 and L10. In 2005, an all-wheel drive and a gasoline hybrid version became available. The first generation GS 300 models had exterior bodywork designed by Italian design Giugiaro and an inline-6 engine. The first rounded body designs of the GS 300 were simplier than modern GS cars and featured exterior specs that could be found on existing premium Japanese sedans.
The second generation of cars from 1997 to 2004 saw notable design adjustments, including clear tail lights and turn signal indicators, a revised grille, tinted headlights, more wood interior trim, and a modified steering wheel. The third generation models were produced from 2005 until 2011. Third generation models kept quadruple headlights, a fastback profile, LED taillights, and one-piece bumpers.
The fourth generation models were designed by Katsuhiko Inatomi from 2011 until present day. This generation featured many upgrades to the body style as well as the interior. The 2013 version has an 8-speed automatic gearbox in place of the 6-speed automatic. This version also includes Siri™ Eyes Free on the GS350 and GS450h models, which is a technology that offers the Siri™ voice assistant service at the push of a button.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the crashworthiness of the 2014 Lexus GS. The four categories tested were Moderate Overlap Front, Side, Roof Strength, and Head Restraints and Seats. Out of all the categories, the IHHS gave the highest rating for each category. Some of the numerous safety features in the 2014 model include:
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
- Driver and passenger knee airbags
- Front and head rear head curtain airbags
- Rear seat mounted airbags
- Four-wheel ventilated power assisted disc brakes
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
- Regenerative braking system
- Electronic parking brake with included auto and hold functions
- Vehicle stability control
- Traction control
NOTEWORTHY ABOUT THE LEXUS GS
- The 2014 Lexus GS comes standard with a 12-speaker Premium Surround Sound System abd CD/DVD player.
- Bluetooth technology allows for wireless integration with compatible music players and also provides automatic phonebook synchronization with your smart phone.
- For optimal convenience, there are audio, phone, and display controls located on the steering wheel.
- Other luxurious interior features include white LED interior illumination, cruise control, illuminated entry system, 10-way power adjustable front seats, height adjustable head rests for all of the seats, and a standard matte dark brown interior trim.