The first generation of Audi A6 models hit American roads in the 1995. These early models were rebranded, redesigned versions of the earlier Audi 100. Audi’s second generation of A6 models had a much longer run that stretched from 1998 to 2004. The third generation Audi A6 debuted in 2005.
When shopping for a used Audi A6, the best place to start will be with the third generation models which were released in the United States beginning in 2005 with the 2006 model A6. From the start, the A6 set itself apart from many other sedans with strong fuel economy before harsher fuel economy standards were implemented. Additionally, every A6 featured an impressive list of interior features that provided luxury along with performance.
From the beginning, the Audi A6 models have been offered in both sedan and wagon body styles with the choice between front-wheel drive and Quattro all-wheel drive on the sedan.
By far, the 2014 Audi A6 is the most advanced. Available in three trims, the Premium, Premium plus, and Prestige, the Audi A6 has exactly what you're looking for in a luxury vehicle. Some of the technological advances that come standard in the 2014 A6 are a 10 speaker sound system, 5 inch driver information system, Bluetooth wireless technology, Homelink® garage door opener, and many more.
The Audi A6 might be the most popular model, new or used, for those drivers looking for an affordable luxury sedan that doesn’t cut corners in design, features, or performance in order to gain an attractive sticker price. Used A6 models remain popular, as do all Audi models, helping Audi achieve an all-time record for the sale of certified pre-owned vehicles.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2014 Audi A6 received the highest score of "good" for moderate overlap front test, side impact front test, rear crash protection, and roof test.
Some of the premier safety features that can be found in the 2014 Audi A6 are driver and passenger air bags, side and rear head air bags, side and rear body air bags, 4-wheel ABS, 4-wheel disc brakes, brake assist, electronic stability control, daytime running lights, child safety locks, integrated turn signal mirrors, traction control, and blind spot monitor.
NOTEWORTHY ABOUT THE A6
- The 2014 Audi A6 was voted as the #1 Luxury Large Car by US News.
- The first generation of A6 models were Audi 100 vehicles that were rebranded and sold as the A6 rather than being a truly different vehicle with its own styling, design, and manufacturing.
- The 2014 Audi A6 TDI was selected as a Green Car of the Year Finalist.
- The 2014 Audi A6 was ranked amongst the top seven cars possessing the Best Automotive Interiors Under $60,000.
- Third (2005-2011) and fourth (2012-present) generation Audi A6 models come in three trim packages. The lowest trim package offers only the standard engine choice, while both higher trim packages offer different engine options.